• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnkota Terrova with iPilot

snagger

I don't have the 80, I have the 101 but as far as the Terrova/Ipilot go, you will love it.

They will mount the same as any other bow mount, just make sure it is sticking over the edge enough. Set it up in the deployed position before you drill your holes, and read the instructions.

Thanks for the input.

Is it worth upgrading to the iPilot Link? I don't do a lot of presicion trolling. I was hoping just the iPilot was good enough.

Going with I pilot link would give you more memory locations then the regular I pilot does. Even if you don't use all the features of link it gives you better resale value if you ever sell the motor in the future. The only thing with link you need to have a Ethernet capable hummingbird for it to work. So if you don't have that then the cost would be that much more since you would have to buy that too.

Also to add my two cents, if this is your first 80# unit make sure that you use the cam locking quick mount. I tried to use my "old" mount that I used with my 55# unit and there was too much thrust for it. I swapped out the old mount for the new and it is much more positive mount.

I use a 80lb terrova with the mount that has a set screw to hold it together left over from my previous power drive. Had to drill and tap a new hole on the side but that is another story. Doesn't move at all. And since the plates slide together from inside the boat, it won't come apart anyway.

I use a 80lb terrova with the mount that has a set screw to hold it together left over from my previous power drive. Had to drill and tap a new hole on the side but that is another story. Doesn't move at all. And since the plates slide together from inside the boat, it won't come apart anyway.

delcecchi,

That sounds like the same mount that I had on my 55# Power Drive and it would work, but I really like the new cam locking one because it is a much tighter fit and slides together from inside the boat.

I'll add that if this is your first 80 lb motor in the front, and you plan to put the batteries in back, be sure to check the gauge of wires that you have run to your batteries.

I don't have my manual handy, but if I recall correctly it said something like 40+ amps max draw for my old powerdrive v2 with autopilot. You don't want to be running 40 amps through an 18-20 foot cable run from the back of the boat to the front if you have too thin of wire or you're apt to start a fire. Options are to either use shorter wires (with the batteries in front) or to run thicker wire to the back.

I'm in a similar boat to the OP. I currently just found my old Co-Pilot remote for my 70 lb Thrust Power Drive, but have the opportunity to upgrade to a used Terrova and 1st GEN. iPilot for $900. Probably leaning towards the Terrova just for ease of deploy, added control, and I can upgrade to the iLink down the road..

Terrovas are great motors, i-Pilot is a great feature and works very well.

The 80 lb Terrova pulls 56 amps at WOT. Many boats and most other trolling motors have 50 amp breakers in them. You'll want a 60 amp breaker for an 80 lb Terrova.

I got my 80# with iPilot two seasons ago and love it. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I was able to mount it myself in an afternoon. I also added a 60v breaker to my batteries, as stated above. Love the tracking and cruise control features..it's improved my fishing success at least two-fold. I use the hand-held control almost exclusively. Just wear it around my neck and I'm able to concentrate on my line/presentation instead of the boat.

Well, I think i'm close to making my decision. I think I'm getting the Terrova 80 with iPilot Link and a Humminbird 858. I have a 4-stroke Yamaha T8 kicker motor that I may have to sell to make it happen though. I only use the T8 for backtrolling. Will I regret getting rid of the T8 or can I do everything I need with the Terrova with iPilot Link????

If you can get away with it I would hold on to that T8. I both the 80lb Terrova and T8 and use both all the time. When the weather gets rough the T8 keeps me fishing as the Terrova can't hold me in the really windy conditions. I've stayed out and caught lots of fish when the wind really picked up because of my T8. Also if you troll cranks at all the Terrova can only push my boat around 2.2 mph at max power and that would drain my batteries in only a few hours. The T8 will troll all day long. Using the Terrova and T8 together really gives you some great options for boat control.

Depends on boat. My Terrova 80 does like 2.5 on about 6 tenths. (as best I remember from, what was it? oh yeah. Summer. )

Also depends on lake and fishing style. It won't pull cranks on mille lacs for 12 hours in the wind. Probably not more than 3 or 4 hours. (draws 56 amps I just read at WOT so a pair of batteries is good for maybe 2 hours most likely less at WOT. Maybe 4 at half power.

I'm thinking of getting a Terrova 80 with I-pilot link as well. I currently have the V2 powerdrive 55# w/ I-pilot and in perfect conditions only get about 2.0 to 2.2 mph. Wondering with a 17.5' boat would it be a huge upgrade to get an 80# thrust motor? Would my battries die a lot faster with the 80# motor?

I think that you'd probably get the same amount of run time as the 55# because you'll be running off of two batteries with the 80#. The 55# is the biggest 12V you can get and the 80# is the biggest 24V so I would guess they both draw a similar amperage.

I guess I have to rephrase that, you'd get the same run time on max power off of both of them. You'll probably get more run time on the 80# since you'll be able to run it on a lower setting to achieve the same performance as the 55#.

I have the 80# Terrova on my 1700 Fisherman and it works great. It can pull my boat up to 2.5 or a little more. The battery life is great, I've used it all day without noticing a reduction in performance, but I wasn't going WOT with it either.