• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Line

randerson

I was going through my reels today and stripping line from most of them and MY question is I like to replace my mono every year or every other on reels that see less use but what do you guys do with your braid I have some reels that get used most every trip and others that get used just a couple times a year I generally strip 10-15 yards off at the beginning of the season knowing I have plenty of line on most of these reels and plan to replace it every 3-4 years. With the cost of most of this stuff I don't want to be throwing $$$ away. What are others doing?

mono depends on how much and where you fish. I have changed it after one trip if it is damaged at all. But, if you do not fish that much it can last a year easily if stored properly. Braid can last a long, long time, again depending on the abuse. I use Braid in saltwater for 6-8 weeks per year that has been on reels for 4-6 years with no problems, and that includes pulling on some large fish. In freshwater I have used it for at least 5 years. I fish MN 6-8 weeks per year in summer and have yet to have the Braid really need replacement--I just replaced as I thought I should--hardly scientific.

Mono degrades in direct sunlight and if stretched. I would never go more than 2 years with mono.

I have 30# braid on a gator rod that is 10 years old. It is just as strong and supple as the day I spooled it on. It gets tested every year by several 20+ lb slimers and has not failed yet.

My best advice is if you are not sure, change it.

I replace the mono on my spinning rods every year. I'll always have one or two rods that will need a replacing during the year. With braid I do what Dietz and bobby suggested... I reverse it after 2 years.

I have some braid that I've had for at least five years...each year I keep expecting to need to change it, but I have yet to run into any problems with it. This might be the year, but so far it's been great. That being said, I'm referring to a rod/reel combo that I use mostly for throwing and trolling crankbaits, so it doesn't get beat up too badly in weeds, rocks, etc.

I too will let braid go multiple years... then if really frugal, I will tie the end to tree and walk off all the line.. re-tie from the start and turn the line inside out. You can then maybe get as many as 4 years?

+1 I do the same.

Mike

Mono gets changed EVERY year. For braid, well I change it when it looks bad. I have one or 2 rods that has braid from 6-7 years ago and is still in tiptop shape. Granted I'm not fishing many high stress situations where it would be the end of the day if I lost a fish from bad braid. But I can honestly say I'm not worried one bit. I think my dad has braid on a rod from 10 years ago, and it is still going strong......although that one I worry about but he just doesn't want to change it.