• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vikes 2013 Draft

FutbolGuru

And a relativist uses rationale over reason and logic. Your theory breaks down because up to the point pouring reaches 1/2 the glass is exponetially, but decendingly, too large, and, if previoulsy filled to the brim before consuming to the half-way point, not large enough by at least half.

Just an observation.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As one commenter on an NFL site so astutely put it:

Most teams get this on draft day:

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th 6th, 7th

Vikings get:

1st, 1st, 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 7th

Looks good to me. We got absolute steals in our first two picks (especially Floyd), and we took care of KR, PR, and an eventual stud WR. Every pick is a risk. EVERY ONE, but you have to take chances, so you go and get the guys you think can help your team (be it sooner or later). We did that. Yes, we gave up a 2, 3, 4, and 7, but in reality, that 2 became a 1, that 7 is not a big deal (we are set at K, P and LS), and we still have a chance to move up and grab a good MLB if we choose. Getting 3-4 day one starters in the draft? Sounds like last year! Works for me!

As one commenter on an NFL site so astutely put it:

Most teams get this on draft day:

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th 6th, 7th

Vikings get:

1st, 1st, 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 7th

Agreed. 3 potential day 1 starters is a great haul for any draft, we just happened to accomplish that within the first round.

You all also need to realize that this is LIMTOUT's nature. Bear's dump in the woods and LMIT dumps on vikings threads. Its just the way it is.

If someone wants to waste so much of his time talking about something he evidently hates I guess thats his choice. Seems to me there would be better things to expend the energy on but thats just me.

No clue how we did, think alright, all I know is our 1st two picks were both ranked 2nd at their positions which can't be horrible. I like the 6'2" bump and run corner we got and that dude in the middle appears to be a horse so I think that 1st round anyway went alright for us. LB who knows there isn't greenway 1 of the 3, urlacher and heck lets go with a 5-2 D lol.

You all also need to realize that this is LIMTOUT's nature. Bear's dump in the woods and LMIT dumps on vikings threads. Its just the way it is.

You fail, as you often do, to notice I'm not the only one not standing in line to get water boarded with purple kool-aid, but go ahead and single me out if it makes you feel better.

Between last year and this years draft, Spielman has really done a tremendous job rebuilding this team. I would guess they will draft a couple linebackers yet, and probably a guard.

There was a nationwide pole this morning on NFL.com asking what team had the best draft. 65% of the people responding picked Minnesota!

Uh oh.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9214101/bill-barnwell-day-one-nfl-draft

Quote:
Minnesota acquires the 29th overall pick from New England for the 52nd, 83rd, 102nd, and 229th picks.

Quantitative winner: New England (59.5 percent more in return)

Real-life winner: New England

Note the dramatic gulf between what Stuart's model thought of the difference in value across the first four trades and what it thought of this one. The Patriots, simply put, took the Vikings to the cleaners. It's incredible that Bill Belichick seems to pull this off every year, but it's even more impressive in this draft. Chase's model estimates, historically, that the 29th overall pick has delivered about 40 percent more value than the 52nd overall pick during their first five seasons in the league. That's really not that much, and in a flat draft like this year's, it's undoubtedly a smaller figure, probably closer to 10 percent or so. For that tiny chance of getting a better player, the Vikings gave up third- and fourth-round picks that could end up producing valuable contributors. In 2007, the 83rd pick delivered Charles Johnson, who became a double-digit pass rusher and one of the highest-paid players in football. The 102nd pick that year was Brian Robison, who himself has 30 sacks over six years in the league. The Patriots aren't getting worthless picks here.

The Vikings made this move to get Cordarrelle Patterson, which seems shortsighted considering the bevy of second-tier wideouts still left on the market. They could have waited through the end of the first round and the top of the second round, where few teams need wideouts, before pouncing in the middle of the second round. That might only have cost them a fifth-round pick or so. In any case, it took what had been an excellent Vikings draft and ruined their night. And while it might not have been the most exciting return for Patriots fans, it was very clearly the right move to make.

The Vikings obviously paid a good price to move up and get the WR that they felt was one of the top 2 offensive playmakers in the entire draft. So, let’s just put it like this:

For the people who think we (the Vikings) got ripped off in the trade, and don't think we had a good draft- You are absolutely right. We messed up and we will continue to stink it up.

For the rest of us- What a great draft! 2 tremendous defensive players fell to us in the 20s and we got the playmaker WR that we so badly needed. Awesome!! That makes 2 great drafts back to back. I can't wait to see these 3 new Vikings contribute. I could not be any happier.

And the hope to the season for me is that our 4 down lineman play like crazy looking for free-agent dollars to come their way or to be re-signed, kinda a nice little competition between those 4 guys, step up or else who's gonna sling big $ your way, I realize it's more DE vs DE and DT vs DT but hey they should be inspired.

Sometimes no one gets ripped off in a trade. We had more draft picks than we needed and the Pats didn't have enough. I wouldn't mind us using some of our remaining draft picks to trade up to get the best quality MLB left on the board we could get. We also signed DE Lawrence Jackson from the lions after they drafted one early in the first round. Lawrence was a former 2008 first round pick for Seattle. He has started about 1/3 of the snaps for the lions the last couple years. In 2010 Lawrence lived up to his draft status but has struggled to replicate his 2010 performance, but this is the Lions.

People are talking like there are scads of All-Pros just waiting to be picked in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. Newsflash, they didnt get picked in the 1st round for a reason! They all have warts (considerably more warts than those in the 1st round) and no matter who gets picked, those haters would have pointed out those flaws. they gave up a 3rd and a 4th to move up. I like it. The 3rd is a valuable pick. The 4th is a toss up. I think it is funny that that article picks on 2 guys who made it....how about all those that did not? Great teams need great players...not good players. Now, if he would trade all the rest of our picks for a 2nd or 3rd that would even be better.

Patterson looks to be a bigger version of Harvin without the migraines (to the Vikings) Jennings can teach this kid the ins and outs of the professional game. We know the guy can catch the ball, run with the ball, and hang on to the ball. I like those fundamentals, I just hope we can keep him in 4 years when he is all pro.

You have him a minimum of 5 years I believe. I think part of the new CBA is all 1st rounders have to sign a 5 year rookie contract vs a 4 year. That oughtta make you even happier! 5 years before he becomes a SeaHawk! laugh HA

Good Luck!

Ken

I wouldn't mind us using some of our remaining draft picks to trade up to get the best quality MLB left on the board we could get.

This is what I'd like to see also, give me 3-4 solid players in a draft over 1-2 solid players and a bunch of scrubs anyday, yeah sometimes you do get lucky and find a diamond late but odds are against it.

We still got ammo, I wouldn't be shocked for a second if Spielman packages up them picks and moves us right back into the 3rd round. If not we can still sit back and play the numbers game and hope for the best.

I don't see how anybody in their right mind can be upset with this draft regardless of what happens next. We got 3 1st rounders, addressed our needs, got better on both sides of the ball, and were aggressive in our approach. The league is all about 1st rounders too, yeah I know you can always make the case for the Tom Brady's of the world but seriously. You want to look at top producers in this league you are more than likely looking at a 1st rounder. I also understand that no matter who it is its always a gamble but Id rather gamble on a first round pick than any later round.

Too many trolls out there....

In the end it's all a gamble. It's a gamble with the No. 1 pick or the last one. There are no sure things.

Which route is it Ponder can't throw? Maybe go back and watch footage from 2011 of the first throw Ponder made as a Viking to Jenkins against the Packers. That was the one for 72 yards. He has plenty arm to stretch the field.

All the draft picks are "projects." Not one of them is ready to start an NFL game tomorrow. You draft a player for potential as much as anything. Patterson has huge potential. Liking these picks for their potential isn't blindly loving them. Every receiver in this class (or any other class) has a chance of being a "bust."

It's an exciting group, drafted through some gutsy moves. Nothing wrong in finding that exciting.

But we wouldn't want any backslapping or high-fiving going on when we could be negative would we?