• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scouting

monstermoose78

I went out this morning trying to find some turkeys. I did get one bird to fire off that was out of 10 places I have checked. The one I got to fire off went crazy. It could have been more then one but I was not sure it a lot of gobbles. I have a couple other places I want to check out. One of the places I wanted to call was being logged so I did not try there seeing they were cutting already this morning. I have 2 weeks to find more turkeys.

With the snow cover just now starting to dissapear, the birds should start spreading out into areas they haven't been in for months.

Not saying scouting now is a waste of time, but birds will probably be in different areas in a couple weeks when your season starts than where they are right now.

I 2nd that but the sad thing for us is that it's two weeks away so we are going down this weekend to scout around. But we are right in the east corner of the state which is browning up pretty well now. smile

It's been tough trying to find new properties to hunt as birds have not broken up yet and it's been tough trying to lay eyes on them.

Man have I been seeing deer around the area though!

It's been tough trying to find new properties to hunt as birds have not broken up yet and it's been tough trying to lay eyes on them.

Yep, I haven't seen a bird in my normal haunts for weeks. Soon....

On my way to work just north of Elk River on 169 this morning I had to come to a complete stop with 6 birds standing in the middle of the road. They flew off when I hit the horn. Then on my way home I saw 5 of them right on the shoulder picking away. Hope someone rather than a car can get one of them this year.. Good Luck Can't wait DrJ.....

Well went down on Sunday and got in on 3 farms. Would have been more but most people had their sons or others hunting our same week. Most were pretty nice about it and it pays to bring an 11 year old on his first Turkey hunt along! wink

He was a big hit with the land owners trying to get a kid his first Turkey! grin

Plus he was a good farm dog distracter! laugh

I'm not able to scout until the first morning of my hunt. Pick a spot in the morning and hope there's birds nearby!
You have a week and half to get out there! The hard part is finding a good blind location. Even harder in the dark on opening morning! frown

Not when you hunt 350 miles away!

Google Maps is very helpful in that situation at least to have a plan to start out with right away.

I pick up one spot and two maybes out of a dozen spots I check with yesterday. Hope to maybe pick up a a few more before we hunt in a few weeks.

Scouting the weather doesn't bid well for camping Wednesday night in NE! I swear... every year! mad

Quote:
Wednesday Night

Overcast with a chance of snow. Fog overnight. Low of 21F with a windchill as low as 9F. Breezy. Winds from the NNW at 10 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 70% with accumulations up to 3 in. possible.

Scouting the weather doesn't bid well for camping Wednesday night in NE! I swear... every year! mad

So, your hunting in Wis? We have the first season and our Wed starts the following week on the 17th? That would be one long range forecast! eek

Scouted some property my buddy got us on to on Saturday. There was still at least 6 inches of snow in the field and some drifts still over the knee. This was near glenwood city in wisco. Weather isn't looking good for knocking some of that down before next Wednesday. First time I have had an April season in forever and we get a late spring gotta love the luck sometimes hahahahaha

Just when everything was getting brown around my area they are talking 6-12 inches of Snow! The turkeys were starting to show up in the areas I normally see them in the spring. My ? is will this snow send them running back to the winter areas?

Probably not, but they'll typically stay in the trees longer in the mornings and be tight beaked following snow events. Sounds like this one could be a doozy. I picked the right year to forget about applying for an early-season tag! May is going to be smoking! smile