• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pflueger president 6730 vs Shimano Sahara

DLD24

After pulling some of my open water rods out I remember I need to buy a couple new reels...My question, what are your thoughts on the president 6730s and Shimano Saharas, which one would you choose?? I mostly fish from shore or out of my Kayak, for Bass,Pike,Channel cats....Do bigger reels allow you to cast farther?? I bought a 10' rod for looper fishing and was wondering if I should buy a big reel (maybe 4000 size) for it or would a smaller size reel be fine??? Thanks for any input

I would go with a 2500 size shimano. I tried the presidents and just cant seem to find a reason why they have the following they do. The shimano's are soo much smoother to me. and I can go straight to the shimano site and order parts if I need to.

Personally I find Pflueger to be the best quality for the money of any fishing reel. Shimano you pay a little for the name (just like the leader in any industry), and I just find Pflueger to be smoother. Also I think the President weighs less (although their specs on the site don't list it), and has more ball bearings. Also the President's drag system is way better than any other reel for the price. It has a bearing/bushing on the spool shaft that fits perfectly in the spool to keep it from torquing towards the bail on a big fish, as well as just making the drag smoother overall. I have an uncle who bought a President size 35 that I've personally see handle hundreds of pike and bass for years without any issues.

I have all kinds of PFLUEGERS and admit I wasn't a fan a first but believe they are the best reels out there for the $$$ full-36358-31738-image.jpg

They have great products and I had one issue with a baitcaster they repaired it and sent it back to me in less than a week

Bigger reels does not necessarily allow further casting. It's all about the balance between rod, reel, line, and lure weights. Generally bigger reels will allow for further casting with larger diameter lines due to mostly line holding capacity.

Personally I find the 4000 size reels more of a cast and set it down kind of size reel. For casting and retrieving I prefer the 3000/2500 size reels.

I can't comment on the sahara, but starting to really like the presidents.I only have a year and a half of heavy use on one and a year on another without missing abeat.All my reels get clean every winter. I clean new reels right out of the box to take out the heavy gease ( or what ever that stuff is!)Out of the box a president isn't that smooth. After cleaning? Smooth! The only fault i have is if the handle is slightly over center it will raotate forward. My Symetre doesn't do this(also a very good reel). I now have three 6730's.

Sahara's have a faster ratio so that's puts them outta my list. I have a few presidents and have a really hard time passing them at the sporting good stores. I have all of the sizes from the 20's to the 35's they all perform flawlessly. Cabelas had there reels made by them last year and I bought some and they're also very good reels. I even have them on some of my ice fishing rods I can't say enough about them....

I used to be strictly a Shimano person, but over the past 5 years have gone exclusively to Pflueger.

I recently ordered 5 of the President 6730's when they were on sale at the Big C for 39.99. Can't go wrong at that price and they are excellent reels at their normal 59.99. I have yet to have one fail and they are close to 5 years old. With the super lines, the 6730 holds all the line needed.

Either reel will serve you well, and you won't go wrong with either choice. But to me, for the money and performance, Pflueger to me is a better choice.

Mike

I've had a Sahara 2500 for 10-15 years. Pull the handle and the plate, clean out what you can see, couple drops of whatever the red stuff is on the gears and wherever, reassemble and you're good to go. Total cleaning time...5-10 minutes.

I think it is whatever you prefer. To me all the shimanos are a little tight to reel, I was told their bearings are packed tighter than the pfluegers. I like how it takes very little pressure to reel in with the President. I got a 30 in the winter and have used it for smallies and catfish so far this year and has performed flawlessly in weather down to -10degrees. I had 6pd flouro on it and it would cast with my 7'ml a 1/2oz jig and tail at least 75yds. The drag in the freezing cold as well handled some mighty big fish so I would recommend the President. The only factor of weight for me is how it balances out the rod.

A FYI for the 6730's. I found that using 10 yds, of 12# mono backing, will allow you to put 75yds of PP 2/10 braid on to fill the spool nicely.( that's why i bought a clamp on line counter) smile

The new presidents are braid ready spools so no need for backer unless you just don't want to spool that much braid ??? And I just spooled 8pd fireline 125yds worth on the 30 with plenty of room to spare.

I'm thinking I might try one of each, I already ordered one pflueger from cabelas and might take a run down to Marine General and check out the sahara...Thanks for everyones comments

I just bought a President 6730 this spring, also at big C when they were on sale for $40. Haven't tried it out yet. But it is very smooth right out of the box. My second Pflueger, and first Pflueger spinning reel.

I have had a Shimano 2000 Sedona for 10 years+. It has some slop in it from all the years of use, but I still pull it out on occasion. Hard to argue with that kind of durability. I think Shimano is certainly more than just a name in the spinning reel industry.

dont own any fluegers, but several saharas. i like the new fe models. the 1500 fe is about the size and weight of the fd1000. there quite a bit more $ though.

i keep telling myself to get a flueger, but it is hard to walk away from the saharas.

Ya I bought a sedona 500 for my ice rod and love it so I was thinking about buying one for one of my open water rods....my new president should be here next week so I'll see if I like it as much

I have all shimano reels as well, but I wanted to find something at a lower price point this spring and settled on the president. I think it is the best value in that range. I went in to pick it up and saw the purist. Aluminum handle, lightweight. This reel is awesome. Can't wait to put some miles on it. You might want to check it out.

I have all shimano reels as well, but I wanted to find something at a lower price point this spring and settled on the president. I think it is the best value in that range. I went in to pick it up and saw the purist. Aluminum handle, lightweight. This reel is awesome. Can't wait to put some miles on it. You might want to check it out.

Talking with the plfueger rep at the sport show the purist reels are the exact same thing as the old president xt of those who remember, just with a facelift. I picked one up as well but the purists are heavier than the presidents so be cautious.