• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electrical ?

randerson

My buddy is building a single car garage in the backyard of his house for his boat storage and his electrical panel is currently full is there a way to run a separate line from the meter outside to a separate garage panel it will be a very small amount of electric being used I run of outlets and a set of lights would be about it. A permit would be pulled

Yes that is legal to do if done correectly. Simply run from the load side of the meter and establish a service properly installed and grounded following the National Electric code and there will be no issues. However that being said one should have an experiences licensed electrician do this as one would be working in a hot/energized meter base and there are certin rule that apply and caution and experieice is needed to do such a job.

To change out your existing meter scoket to one that is rated for what you want to do and to install another service in your garage for a receptacle and a few lights is not cast affective. A sub panel off your main panel and a 12/2 UF cable out to your storage building would be so much cheaper. That is why I said generally no to what you want to do. On farms you find this more common than a residence when it comes to multiple services off of one meter.

Good luck with your install.

When I did it, I had our electrical company come out and do it. For free.

consider yourself lucky mine wants $150 just to turn the power off and then back on so the electrician I am also paying can perform the work.

All he has to do is pull the meter to kill the power to the house. Your master electrician should know that, and also know that if a permit is pulled he doesn't need the power company to pull the meter for him.

That would be one way to do it, buy why not just get a half height (double breaker) and just run one circuit out to the garage? One 20 amp circuit is more than enough to run some lights and a battery charger, and will cost WAY less.

Heck, you could rearrange some stuff in the panel with the half height breaker, and run the garage off of a GFCI breaker and use direct bury UF wire to feed it.

Your master electrician should know all of this.