• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

northern tool boat trailer

mrpike1973

hi found one for 450 bucks however it says its only rated to 45 mph what good would it be if it couldnt go 55 mph. any one bought one or whats your take on it its for a very light boat but i would like to go 55 mph hee hee

I have one on the jon boat and do about 65-70mph. It fish tail because its very light. I added some extra weight and bigger tires and it runs better.

Edit: Yes, has a lot to do with tire rating & weight. Just like any spare donut tire with max rating. If you ignore it, the tire will burn out. <--that's from experience.

I assume your looking at a new one. Looking at the specs online I dont know if I would pull it any faster than 45 with the stock 8" rims. I would think if you put on 12" tires 55 shouldnt be a problem.

EHH that's really more of a guideline than a rule.....

I have a utility trailer with the 8" tires and my friend pulled it up north with a 600 lbs ATV @ 70 mph with no issues.

The nice thing about the 8" tires is they're only $35 on the rim at any menards.

I'd put 12 inch wheels on it if I was going to buy it.

45 probably does fine if you're sticking around town or near the lake place. Heading to URL at 45 could take a while.

With a 12 inch wheel, the bearing will actually be spinning slower at 60 than the 8 inch would be at 45 mph.

this means my old trailer 8 inch tires on it should never go past 45 mph i'm just not buying it. i have driven hundreds of miles with no problems i think fleet has trailers about 600 bucks they have 12 inch tires thanks for the replies i,m really torn now what to do

I'd search around for a better trailer.

I paid $650 for a new Shorelander 1500lb capacity bunk trailer. Very nice trailer. I kept looking and found a dealer with carryovers for a decent price.

$450 for something marginal.. or 650 for the real deal? I know 200 bucks is 200 bucks, but.. There is also used.

I'd search around for a better trailer.

I paid $650 for a new Shorelander 1500lb capacity bunk trailer. Very nice trailer. I kept looking and found a dealer with carryovers for a decent price.

$450 for something marginal.. or 650 for the real deal? I know 200 bucks is 200 bucks, but.. There is also used.

+1 unless just going down the road to the launch

I have a utility trailer with the 8" tires and my friend pulled it up north with a 600 lbs ATV @ 70 mph with no issues.
Captain Speirs of Easy Company twice ran through the enemy lines at Foy. That doesn't mean that it was smart or that everyone else should duplicate the feat!

Had you indicated that it wasn't smart or shouldn't be duplicated, I would have let your post slide. In absence of those statements, it seemed to prudent to point out the ridiculousness of doing such a thing on a regular basis, which is what the OP is asking about.

I had one of the 4x8 Harbor Freight utility trailers that is of similar design. Great, cheap trailer, but my complaint is that when empty, the trailer would jump off the ball. Just not enough tongue weight. So I always made a point to always carry around heavy things at the front of the trailer. Like others have said, it's fine if you are just trailering on small roads a short distance. But anything on freeways, long-distance, or high speed, I'd avoid it. It's not worth trying to pinch pennies when you can buy a brand new EZ-Loader, Spartan, Load-Rite, Karavan, etc for around $1000.

A trailer should always have some tongue weight but if the hitch is popping off the ball you need to tighten the hitch. With hitch on ball lift up and done on the hitch.

You'll feel some play there. What you want to do is reduce that play. Under the hitch you'll see a nut. Tighten that till you've reduced the amount of play in the hitch and ball.

This is a good time to lube the hitch so the latch moves freely.