• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Adder Points?

benbosh

Has anybody used adder points behind a fixed blade broadhead for turkey hunting before? Last year was my first year using a bow for turkeys and I used Rage mechanicals but didn't like them and going to stick with my fixed blade Slick Tricks this year. I did a internet search on them and found mixed results for turkeys so I'm unsure if I should pick some up or not.

I've used the Zwickey Scorpio add ons before with good success, but now believe strongly in large, 3 blade mechanicals. The last few birds I've shot have been with Steel Head Mini Blasters, and have been very impressed.

Unless you're shooting low poundage, give yourself an advantage and shoot a big mechanical. Rocket Hammerheads, Rocket MeatSeekers, & Grim Reaper Whitetail Specials are all 2" 3 blade heads that wreak havoc. A pile of others that are 1 3/4" that would be good too. 2 blades are fine, but it's easy to miss the good stuff if you're off by just a few inches, while a 3 blade will give you at least one blade of cutting. Small vitals on a turkey and you often need room for error. Magnus Bullheads are another good option for head/neck shots. If you do decide to shoot a fixed blade, passthroughs are fine. Adders aren't neccesary in my opinion. I've blown arrows clean through birds about half the time and they die the same as one with an arrow that stays in. It's all about placement. Learn the anatomy and practice a lot from the positions you'll be hunting from.

Thanks guys, I'm not necessarily shooting high poundage so I'm trying to stay with fixed blade. I think I'm going to stick with plain slick tricks and make sure I have a good shot placement. My main reasoning behind the adder points was for pass throughs and adding more "shocking power" but I figure as long as I'm concentrating on accuracy, there will be no need to worry about a pass through or "shocking power" as, if my shot is in the vitals, he will be done for anyway. I've thought about the Magnus Bullheads too but.. maybe next year.

As for studying anatomy of a turkey, last year was my first year using archery on turkeys and I studied the heck out of the anatomy. Even quizzed my self on random turkey pictures of where I would put the pin.