• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Treadmill

Scoot

I'm thinking about getting a treadmill and I don't know squat about them. Every year I put on almost ten pounds in the Winter and I hate it. It's a lot tougher for me to run and work out in the Winter. I have a weight set at home and an eliptical machine- I use both quite a big (3-5 times per week), but I end up backing off a lot in the Winter on my cardio, mostly because I get so bored on an eliptical. I imagine a treadmill will be equally boring, but at least I'll be able to swap back and forth between the eliptical and treadmill.

So... what am I looking for in a treadmill? I'm not a super fast runner and I honestly don't feel like I need a lot, but that's mostly because I don't know what I'm looking for. Any info would be appreciated.

I don't know a ton about brands but I've run on a few treadmills so I can at least offer some things to maybe watch out for.

It sounds like you plan to do at least a little running on it so I would suggest you actually run on them when you are picking one out since not all models are great for running. When you are on the lower end of the price scale you may find some that you can't run on very well at all.

I ran on a brand new machine in a hotel exercise room last spring. It was fine for walking but when I started to run on it the belt would actually stop for a split second everytime my foot landed. It created a herky-jerky motion that made it impossible to run. I mentioned it to the hotel staff and they said it was brand new and nothing should be wrong with it. I chalked it up to them buying the cheapest thing they could find as it was a no frills machine.

The other thing I've noticed on a treadmill my parents purchased is that when runnnig its not very solid and almost feels like its on springs because it flexes a lot when running. Again this wasn't a real high end machine and was purchased really just for walking.

The last thing is make sure you put the treadmill on solid flooring, ideally in the basement where there is concrete under the flooring. My parents had theirs in a 2nd floor bedroom and it was fine for walking but when you started running on it the pounding of the feet and flex of the treadmill made it sound like someone was jumping up and down in the middle of the room.

We have a pro-form and like it. I am about 200 lbs and run on it a fare amount. It has some programs on it that take you through a vitual run though some national park trails.

It is a couple years old now so I am sure they have upgraded models.

Just throwing this out there. I too used to get bored with treadmill and stuff like that. I then started insanity a couple years ago and liked it a lot more. This year I tried Delta Fit. I like that one even better. They both concentrate on the leg muscles (they do work the upper body as well). I have seen in previous posts you hunt out west. This might give you a leg up when you start training for that.

I ran on a brand new machine in a hotel exercise room last spring. It was fine for walking but when I started to run on it the belt would actually stop for a split second everytime my foot landed. It created a herky-jerky motion that made it impossible to run.

This is usually the result of a loose belt that needs to be tightened or lack of belt lubrication. With some treadmills the belt has to be lubricated for proper function but would probably make any belt last longer. Several videos on utube showing how to do this.

Watching movies, or fishing shows, on the TV makes the time spent tolerable. I elliptical at a gym and have a tread mill at home. You could check consumer reports and see what they have to say. Our public library has it online so if you want I can post the current ratings...

If you have high speed internet you can stream all sorts of stuff to the TV. Today I watched a comedy special from netflix. Last time, I plugged the laptop into the tv and watched 3 angling edge shows from their HSOforum.

Here is a blurb from their article

Quote:
Choose the right machine

Budget and midpriced treadmills are sold at large retailers such as Dick's Sporting Goods, Sears, Sports Authority, and Walmart. For more expensive brands, you'll generally need to hit a specialty fitness store. Whether you want to shop online for the best price or in a store, try the machine in person first. You might notice a problem--the deck is too short for you stride, for example--that you can't detect by sight or reviews alone.

Here are other criteria to consider:

Size. Most treadmills are about 6.5 feet by 3 feet. Folding treadmills are about half the length when folded. Don't assume that because you buy a folding treadmill you'll actually fold and stow it. If that feature is important, try folding the machine before buying to see how easy it is to do and whether folding makes it easier to store. You'll also need adequate space--about two feet on each side and the back--to get on and off safely.

Safety features.All tested treadmills have a safety key that clips onto clothing and turns the machine off if you fall. People with children at home or as visitors should make sure that they can't access treadmills, and hide the safety key.

Ergonomics. If running is more your speed than walking, check treadmills' deck length, since you'll need a longer one to accommodate your stride. If you want the space-saving that a folding treadmill provides, make sure the deck isn't too heavy to lift.

High-tech features. Docks for iPods, USB ports, and wireless Internet connectivity are popping up on many treadmills.

Adjustability. Most tested treadmills incline to at least 10 percent; some go as high as 14 or 15 percent.

Assembly. A treadmill can weigh up to 400 pounds, so ask about delivery and check whether assembly is included or available at an additional cost. It might be worth it if you're not particularly good with a toolbox. It generally takes our experienced engineers about 1 to 2 hours to put together a treadmill, depending on the number of steps. Lifting heavy parts, adding applying grease, and working on your knees are part of the process. Some of the steps require two people.

Warranty. Look for one that provides two to three years of coverage on major moving parts and a year on labor. Our surveys suggest that an extended warranty probably isn't worth it.

Types

Basically, there is only one type of treadmill: A moving belt, powered by an electric motor, on which you can walk or run. But because they come in a wide price range, and some fold, we have divided the types of treadmills available according to price, and whether they can be folded.

Budget folding treadmills

These typically include a 10 mph top speed, a 10-percent maximum incline, a display for speed, distance, time, and calories, a shelf with water-bottle holders, and a deck that you can fold up when the treadmill isn't being used.

Pros: If walking is your exercise, not running, just about any of these should be adequate.

Cons: But the budget models tend to feel less stable than the more expensive models, and their decks might be too short for a runner's long stride.

Folding treadmills

These generally include the same features as the budget folding models, along with more advanced electronic exercise programs. Some have a chest-strap heart-rate monitor.

Pros: Sturdier construction makes these treadmills better suited for occasional running.

Cons: The deck on many models might be too short for a runner's long stride.

Nonfolding treadmills

These typically don't fold. But they often have the same features as midrange machines, plus a sturdier deck and frame and a powerful motor for long, fast running.

Pros: These are the best choice for serious runners. They generally come with the longest warranties.

Brands

You can compare treadmills by brand. If you don’t see a model in our Ratings (available to subscribers), these profiles can help you learn about a manufacturer and what it offers (listed below in alphabetical order).

Bowflex

Bowflex is manufactured by Nautilus, which also makes fitness equipment under the following brand names: Schwinn Fitness, StairMaster, and Universal. Available from various online retailers and at Sears. Prices range from $1,000 to $3,500.

Epic

Epic is part of the Icon Fitness group. Its product line also includes ellipticals and exercise bikes. Treadmills range in price from $1,200 to $1,500.

Horizon Fitness

Horizon Fitness is based in Cottage Grove, Wis. Its product line also includes ellipticals and exercise bikes. Available in sporting-goods stores and online, its treadmills range in price from $800 to $2,500.

Landice

Based in Randolph, N.J., Landice makes mid- to high-end treadmills and ellipticals for the home and the commercial market. Available in specialty fitness stores. Treadmills range in price from $2,500 to $5,500.

Life Fitness

Life Fitness home treadmills are available at specialty fitness retailers and through its online store. Treadmills range in price from $2,000 to $7,000.

LifeSpan

LifeSpan Fitness products are manufactured by Health and Fitness, which is based in Park City, Utah. Its product line also includes ellipticals and exercise bikes. Treadmills range in price from $900 to $3,500.

New Balance

Manufactured by Fitness Quest, New Balance also offers ellipticals and exercise bikes at budget prices. Products are available in sporting-goods stores and on the New Balance Web site. Treadmill prices range from less than $1,000 to $1,800.

NordicTrack

Part of the Icon Fitness group, which is one of the largest manufacturers of fitness equipment in the world. NordicTrack offers a variety of other exercise products, including ellipticals, exercise bikes, and steppers. Treadmills range in price from $900 to $3,000.

PaceMaster

PaceMaster products are manufactured by Aerobics Inc, which is based in New Jersey. Its product line also includes ellipticals and exercise bikes, available in specialty fitness stores. Treadmills range in price from $1,800 to $2,900.

Precor

Precor is part of the Finland-based Amer Sports Corporation. Its treadmills can be purchased nationwide at specialty fitness stores. Prices range from $2,500 to $7,000.

ProForm

Made by Icon Fitness, Proform offers exercise equipment at lower price points than most other manufacturers. Its product line also includes ellipticals and exercise bikes. Treadmill prices range from less than $1,000 to $2,000.

Smooth Fitness

Based in King Of Prussia, Pa., Smooth Fitness also makes ellipticals and exercise bikes. Its products are available through specialty fitness stores. Treadmills range in price from $1,000 to $5,300.

Spirit

Owned by Taiwan-based Dyaco International, Spirit has been in existence for more than 25 years. Its treadmills are sold nationwide in specialty fitness stores. Prices are in the $2,000-and-below range.

SportsArt

Based in Woodinville, Wash., SportsArt has been making fitness equipment for more than 30 years. Products also include cycles, ellipticals, rowers, and steppers. Products are sold in specialty fitness stores. Treadmills range in price from $2,000 to $4,300.

True

Based in St. Louis, True’s product line also includes ellipticals and exercise bikes. Treadmills range in price from $2,200 to $6,000.

Vision Fitness

Vision Fitness was started in 1993 and is based in Wisconsin. Products are available at specialty fitness stores and online. Treadmills range in price from $2,100 to $6,000.

Before you shop

It's best not to buy such a large, big-ticket item on a whim. So before you even go to the store, take stock of how much you want to spend and how much space you want to use. And perhaps most important, decide how and how often you'll use the equipment.

Consider your space

Nonfolding treadmills are hard to move and take up as much floor space as a couch or dining room table. If your workout room does double duty, a folding treadmill can save you about six-square-feet.

Consider the cost

We've found in recent treadmill tests that you have to spend well over $2,000 to get a machine designed for serious runners, though lower-priced models are okay for walkers.

In the Ratings, the quality score for less-expensive models reflects the severity and frequency of those problems. Most of the trouble we experienced would be covered under warranty, but it can take weeks and multiple phone calls to get a machine fixed--enough time to discourage even passionate exercisers. By contrast, the machines we bought for $2,000 and more through specialty fitness equipment stores had very few defects.

Consider your workout intensity

If you usually walk rather than run, any of the tested models will suffice. Decide based on your budget and the features you want. If you run, sturdy construction is paramount. Choose from the models that scored at least very good in quality in the treadmill Ratings. The more expensive ellipticals in our Ratings tend to feel more solid, operate more smoothly, and have more features than the under-$1,000 models. You might also get superior ergonomics, a wide range of features, and a more generous warranty.

Ready to shop

You'll find budget and mid-priced treadmills in Sears, The Sports Authority, Wal-Mart, and other discount and sporting-goods chains. Moderately priced brands such as Horizon Fitness, Schwinn, Trimline, and Vision Fitness, and more expensive brands such as Landice, Life Fitness, Nautilus, Precor, and True are sold in specialty sporting-goods stores. No matter where you shop, here are some tips to follow.

Try it out first

Every model is a little different, so don't buy a treadmill or elliptical before taking it for a test run. That's especially important with elliptical exercisers because the machine determines how you will move and each machine has a slightly different pedaling profile and feel. It's also helpful to get a sense of the control panel layout, display and program setup to see if you find it intuitive or not.

Decide which features you'll use

Some features, such as programmable exercise programs, can make a workout more varied and less boring, which can help you meet your exercise goals. But don't pay for frills you don't care about.

Make sure you can change your mind

Because each machine has its own feel, try it out before you buy and make sure the store will let you return it if you dislike using it. See our Ratings and recommendations for some suggestions.

Read the fine print

Most of the "amazing results!" shown in infomercials for exercise devices are footnoted as "not typical" or result from an overall "system" that includes a diet plan and, in many cases, additional aerobic exercise.

Calculate the total cost

Unless the price includes shipping, expect to pay an additional $20 to $50 plus any sales tax.

Beware of trials

A "30-day money-back guarantee" sounds good, but returning the product might not be easy. Some of the machines are heavy or bulky, and you might have to pay for return shipping, which could cost $90 or more for the larger products.

Before signing up for a trial, verify with the company the proper return address and how soon you can expect a refund if you send the device back. A scan of online complaints about home fitness equipment revealed that reported problems with returns, including lack of a valid return address or exorbitant shipping charges, were common.

Hard to cut and paste the table of ratings. Top 5 non folding were

Precor 9.31, Landice L7, Nordic Track Elite 9700 pro, true PS300, and Sole S77.

Top 6 budget folding were Nordic Track C900pro, AFG 3.1AT, Proform Power995, Proform Performance 600, Sole F63, and Horizon T202.

They also had non-budget folding. Budget non folding was not listed.

Awesome info fellas! Thanks a bunch!!!

Del, do you have access to any info on the NordicTrack A2105? I know it's not top of the line, but would it be a reasonable choice for me if I can get one for a good price?

Not too much information. It is not in the consumer reports stuff because it is a discontinued model.

I read a couple reviews and it sounds like it might be ok if you just are walking and not too big a guy. Apparently at least this vintage of Nordic Track (not the nordic track of old that made ski machines...they went bankrupt and the name was sold to these other guys) has a reputation for not being too reliable, if the reviews are to be believed.

So I think a lot depends on how hard you are going to use it.

I think it has a 1.75 HP motor which is really low by today's standards. The budget folding treadmills in CR list had only one below 2.25 hp and most were 2.5 or 3. High price jobs go up to like 4 hp.

That's about all I know.

Oh, and they are made by the same outfit that makes Proform (icon fitness) Proform has some inexpensive treadmills as well.

Planning on treadmill running or already bought one but confused about your little friend? If so, we are providing you with the answers to the questions that are wandering in your mind like actually what a treadmill is, how it works, benefits and pitfalls of a treadmill, what precautions you should take for treadmill running or keep it idle in your house or gym etc. Again many of people think a treadmill is bad. You will find answers to questions like actually is it bad for you or how long should you run on a treadmill?

Check out this article: https://theshoebuddy.com/treadmill-running/

Well, being you are not engaging your hamstrings on that treadmill, and you're TRAINING on it!!, you can pretty much guarantee your feet sliding out from underneath you, slipping on the ice next time you encounter it.  Thank you treadmill, best piece of equipment in the gym, for an orthopedic surgeon.

Let me guess, you like to walk slow on it, so its good for you.....?  

So, what is your training that makes you more of an expert than the Cardiac Rehab center of the Mayo Clinic?   You got the 6 week certificate in sales from the Chiropractic Institute?  

Seriously, do you have a degree in a health field?  Have you even had any serious scientific training in any field?  Last I recall, didn't you work selling gadgets to Chiropractors or something? 

I know you are a big fan of the subluxations and spinal adjustments to cure cancer and diabetes and prevent autism as touted by straight chiropractors.   

I'll just laugh when you fall because you have a terribly inefficient movement pattern created by a treadmill.  I don't need any sort of medical background to know that you move on the ground (earth) as you pull yourself forward and push yourself away while on a tread mill your just moving without purpose.  Your body will learn from repetition and when you increase the intensity, your body will develop those patterns faster.  

Thank you for the attempted digs, I have addressed every one of those questions in the past numerous times.  Its not my fault you cant remember Dick

1 hour ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Thanks for the humor. 

Talk about humor, the original post was from April 2013. :D

ba ha ha.jpg

I'm sure the OP has already bought his treadmill, used it as a clothes hanger and re-sold it on C-r-a-i-g-s-l-i-s-t. :D

3 hours ago, DrJuice1980 said:

I'll just laugh when you fall because you have a terribly inefficient movement pattern created by a treadmill.  I don't need any sort of medical background to know that you move on the ground (earth) as you pull yourself forward and push yourself away while on a tread mill your just moving without purpose.  Your body will learn from repetition and when you increase the intensity, your body will develop those patterns faster.  

Thank you for the attempted digs, I have addressed every one of those questions in the past numerous times.  Its not my fault you cant remember Dick

Which questions?  The one about your education?   Must have been a long time ago since I don't recall it.  I do remember you being a big big huge fan of Chiropractic.   Perhaps you could refresh my memory, it shouldn't take long to post your CV

And I guess you must have missed physics class as well, since in physics calculations of forces are the same no matter the frame of reference, yet you continue to suggest there is a difference between a frame referenced to a person's center of mass, and one referenced to the earth.  

I did see this article from a newspaper.... The author must have at least as much qualification as you do

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/muscles-worked-out-using-treadmill-7727.html

What Muscles Are Worked Out When Using a Treadmill?

The treadmill is a versatile exercise machine that lets users walk, jog and run on flat or uphill surfaces. In addition to providing an effective cardiovascular workout, treadmills also help strengthen the muscles of the legs and butt. Depending on the incline, you can work the front or the rear of your legs more intensely; however, every treadmill workout strengthens both.

The Quadriceps

People who walk and jog on the treadmill with regularity gain endurance and strength in the quadriceps muscles. The quadriceps are named for the four large muscles on the front of the thighs; they are the rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, vastus medialis and vastus intermedius. These muscles help the body jump and squat in addition to walking and running. As a result, treadmill exercise applies to more than just working out; it also improves the ease with which you go about activities of daily living.

The Hamstrings

Like the quadriceps, "hamstrings" is also a collective name for a muscle group. The hamstrings, comprising the biceps femoris, the semitendinosus and the semimembranosus, lie between the buttocks and the back of the knee on the rear thigh. The muscles of the hamstrings are used for power walking and running in addition to squatting and jumping, and -- in general -- the more you exercise on the treadmill, the greater your hamstrings' endurance gains will become. However, according to the University of Wisconsin, roughly a quarter of collegiate athletes who sprint injure their hamstrings. As a result, warm up on the treadmill slowly, and increase running speeds gradually.

The Calves

The calf muscles of the rear lower leg, comprising the gastrocnemius and the soleus, also work hard during treadmill exercise. According to a study from the Laboratory of Medical Physics in The Netherlands, most of the work performed by the calf muscles occurs as you push off from your toes while walking, running and jumping. You can increase the workload on your calves -- and your hamstrings -- by increasing the incline on the treadmill.

The Glutes

The glutes make up the muscles of the rear end and, like the leg muscles, help you walk, jump and run. "Fitness" magazine reports that people who set their treadmills to a steep incline increase the workload on their glutes significantly, which increases strength, improves endurance and burns fat and calories. Although the treadmill helps you gain leg strength, the machine is primarily known for its cardiovascular health benefits. As a result, if you exercise regularly on a treadmill you can expect health gains on the inside of your body as well as the outside.

Do I need to answer to you? Absolutely not, especially when you are going to try to put together some physics logic behind why treadmills are good, completely neglecting to describe how muscles function with a protagonist and antagonist relationship.  Meaning when your quads are suppose to relax and your hamstrings are suppose to engage and vice versa.  When that doesn't happen over and over again due to the belt doing the hamstrings work, then you are developing an inefficient movement pattern (compensation) and you can expect pain, arthritis, injury, replacement, etc. (Familiar, I know the arthritis bit is) You are training yourself not to work like you were created to work.  Although for you Del, I completely understand if you think you are smarter then how we as a species got to be who we are today.  Or at least you can find something to copy and paste from somebody else whom feels the way you do, who also got dooped into buying a treadmill or pays a monthly fee to walk on a treadmill.  If you want to start judging me, I can judge you Del and this can be very fun for me but then all the snowflakes on here would melt because I brought some heat.  Your old timer buddies would come and save you, delete half my postings that expose you know absolutely nothing about this topic, you all can cry about how I am so mean and hate filled, and then not troll me for a few months until you are updated with one of my postings and then crawl right back into an argument where I make you look stupid all over. 

Up to you buddy.

Dave, I got 32 seconds into that video, couldnt stand the guy and stopped it.

Edited by DrJuice1980

WTF are you talking about?  You are already judging me so bring it on.  Tell me about your training.  Cite studies that show the deficiencies of treadmills.   Cite studies that show how Chiropractic cures diabetes and cancer...  

Come on, you want to engage in a battle of wits?  Don't come half equipped.   Heat? How about I repost the bizarre chiropractic stuff?  Or have you disavowed it of late?  

Dear Del,

Regurgitate it all again, since that is your only option and nevermind the truth behind how the human body works.  Del, you let a handful of bad seeds sour your taste for Chiros but fail to see that you were prescribed high cholesterol meds during a routine blood test that you probably no longer takes due to new findings on cholesterol.... LOL, cant make this stuff up, it really happens, but go ahead and post a link from some Gazette you found on page 5 of your google search.  LOL, cant make that stuff up either, it really happens, and its being threatened to be used! Whoa ho ho bud, scary materiel there....

"You must cite studies but I can copy and paste from SportsAuthority and some "The Patch" article"  Wow, step down from that mountain top you seem to think you belong on daily.  "Cite studies on an opinion you dont hold, but i have insinuated you do time and time again as ammo against you, because chiros are crazy" LOL, man Del, get off the internet bud.

I've explained the relationship between the quads and hamstrings, I dont need to cite a study but I am very glad to know that in your eyes,  something only becomes effective once it is commercialized, a study is worked up-people are paid and you are influenced that its good through repetition of those things and tightly toned bodies.  

The only thing I disavow that I somewhat defended in the past on here was processed sugar and cane sugar.  Pure evil.  I consume anywhere from 3-6g of processed sugar weekly, dropped from 200 to 188 in about 2.5 months and you couldnt really tell except for my face a little.  You want to see an adult on a sugar high, you dont have to go far to see one....

I'll be waiting for you to share someone else's article and opinion.....

Your friend,

-Juice

Edited by DrJuice1980

New findings on Cholesterol?  Do tell.  What are they?   I am genuinely interested.  

As for the treadmill,  tell you what.  I already explained that both the Physical Therapy and Cardiac Rehab departments at Mayo use them.  They seem to be a pretty standard piece of equipement.   You are making an extraordinary claim that they are harmful, so you must have some evidence for that, beyond personal opinion.  

So, how do you know that treadmills don't exercise hamstrings?