• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Line Advice

Howdy...

I was looking for advice on what types of line that people use and # test for Salmon fishing? I had 20# Silver Thread on my reels and never had any issues with it at all.. Now that it has come time to respool I cant find it... Does anyone have any recommendations and suggestions on what they use...???

Give me some advice on why... say Mono over Fluorocarbon... vs Copolymer.. etc... I had copolymer on and it was flawless... is there some reason I shouldn't try it again... Silver Thread vs P-Line...etc..

Thanks... all imput is appreciated...

Are you looking at tecnique specific line applications or just for rigger rods, board lines, snap weight lines ect? For my rigs I have found that the Berkley big game is pretty economical in the 20-30# test range and I have had decent luck with it as far a durability. I use the 20# on a couple of my rigger rods but tend to go with power pro or Suffix for my dypsie lines and a combination of BG backing, power pro/suffix/leadcore and fluro for boardlines while still having somestraight mono snap weight rigs.

Tunrevir~

Silver Thread is till out there and I really do like it. Although I have Berkley Big Game or Suffix 20# mono on my salmon rigs currently for downriggers. Both are pretty tough and affordable and I've never broke off a fish using either. I run wire or braid on my dipsey rods.

A lot of it has to do with personal preference, what kind of set-up, as mentioned above, price, durability, the type of salmon fishing you're actually doing, and experience level of who is handling the rod, and what kind of rod it is all has some factor into too.

I like braided on most everything, but I can see why I others wouldn't use it based on their fishing ability and what type of fishing they're doing.