• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Easiest way to obtain certification

DrJuice1980

I was born in 1980, what a pointless restriction by the way. I've really been interested lately in hunting birds and I would like to know what is the easiest and fastest way to get certified. I'm sure it's been posted here but a search has brought up so many forums and I'm too lazy to look through them all. I really don't want to spend my Saturdays in a class with a bunch of kids. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

I've shot all types of guns at the range. I'm not an silly-me when it comes to safety and you don't need to live outside the cities to know what you're doing, nice comment though. I really don't think I need to spend my day learning what not to point a gun at and what not to shoot towards. A while back I went online and took all the tests, which a dummy would have to try to not answer correctly, but it was so long ago I don't even know if they'd be valid and I lost them anyways. So again what is the easiest and fastest way to get certified.

Adult Firearm Safety Field Day (18 years and older)

Date:

04/06/2013

Time:

11 AM

County:

Hennepin

Bloomington

Description:

Class date: Saturday, April 6, 2013

Class time: 11:00am

This Field Day is for students 18 years and older who have completed the on-line course.

Requirements: Student must be 18 years or older to attend.

Student must bring Field Day Voucher to the Field Day.

Student must also complete steps 1 and 2 found at: MN requirements

Student must pre-register.

Directions:

Location not definitive at this time; will be held in Bloomington, MN

More Information:

Contact Jason Raaen at 763-268-9530.

Go the DNR HSOforum and follow links to online safety course. Take the online course which can be done at your most convenient times. Then you will have to go and do the field day and your done. my wife just did the online option and really liked it as she did it in the evening when it was convenient. Gun safety is something that shouldn't be fast and easy.

I've shot all types of guns at the range. I'm not an silly-me when it comes to safety and you don't need to live outside the cities to know what you're doing, nice comment though. I really don't think I need to spend my day learning what not to point a gun at and what not to shoot towards. A while back I went online and took all the tests, which a dummy would have to try to not answer correctly, but it was so long ago I don't even know if they'd be valid and I lost them anyways. So again what is the easiest and fastest way to get certified.

its worth your time.

Do it online or go to class. I encourage it. I took the class when I was 12 and just went through it again with my daughter. I learned some things and was reminded of other things I hadn't thought about for some time. Its not hard and doesn't take to much time. There was older kids and young adults in my daughters class. It's worth it and you will learn a few things.

Good luck.

I just did my gun safety last year. I did the online class and completed the worksheets off the DNR HSOforum. I actually thought the online class wasn't half bad. It paces you so you can't skip ahead and rush through it. It is easy but its still worth taking seriously and actually think about the info and its practical applications.

Once the course work is done you can either do an organized group field day exam with an instructor or meet up with an instructor on your own. This is the part I found to be lacking. I called and emailed numerous instructors and had a really hard time finding a class that worked or someone who had time to meet with me indiviudally. I finally got in touch with one instructor who had time. He had me meet him and some other people needing the field day exam one night after work. We met in a parking lot in a shopping area. He passed out the paper tests and we all took them in our cars and that was that. I was probably there for 15 minutes. He skipped the live fire work, no need to show your previous course work, no need to show the survival kit you are supposed to have. Basically we just showed up, paid the guy, and walked away with our certification.

Thats about as fast and easy as you'll ever get. However, it was WAY too easy and skipped some pretty important stuff if you ask me. It seems crazy to give out safety certificates without ever having someone actually handle a firearm.

Wow, an interesting discussion. I'm kind of glad I read this thread today as I am leaving tomorrow for a SD/ND white goose hunt. Had a couple of guys I have never hunted with call last night begging to go. After reading this, I just decided that I need to get to know these guys a little better before I sit 20 feet away from them with their loaded shotguns. I certainly would not have any problem sitting with other people of any age learning gun safety.

I took it online and it worked out great. Take it on your own time and schedule an appointment for a field test day. It did actually take a while online and the instructor was good on the field stuff (he actually covered what you need to know). You don't need to take the live class, you can if you want I just don't see the point if you are a responsible adult and want to save some time.

Wow, an interesting discussion. I'm kind of glad I read this thread today as I am leaving tomorrow for a SD/ND white goose hunt. Had a couple of guys I have never hunted with call last night begging to go. After reading this, I just decided that I need to get to know these guys a little better before I sit 20 feet away from them with their loaded shotguns. I certainly would not have any problem sitting with other people of any age learning gun safety.

I have had 3 buddies show me the end of their gun barrel while hunting (Not paying attention to where gun is pointing), all the first time hunting with them. I stopped the hunt immediately and never invited them to hunt with me again...That S#$* don't fly with me.

I took it online and it worked out great. Take it on your own time and schedule an appointment for a field test day. It did actually take a while online and the instructor was good on the field stuff (he actually covered what you need to know). You don't need to take the live class, you can if you want I just don't see the point if you are a responsible adult and want to save some time.

The only thing I see lacking from the online coarse is the class participation. Questions that arise from people and not just kids are what some will never think of being on a online situation. You can learn so much more from peer participation.

The only thing I see lacking from the online coarse is the class participation. Questions that arise from people and not just kids are what some will never think of being on a online situation. You can learn so much more from peer participation.

Yeah that's part of it, you can ask questions at the field test too. Also hopefully you hunt with buddies who are safe and let you know the rules, etc. A lot of it is just common sense though.

Actually the online part you do have to write about situations that you might encounter. I think one example was if you shot a deer and another hunter claimed he shot it. How would you handle it? Like you said discussion is probably best, but the online does a pretty decent job for what it is.

The online portion does a good job for what it is. The field day exam still offers the chance for questions and discussion, or at least it should. The worksheets you complete also are meant to get you thinking about real world examples of hunter safety and hunter ethics.

In the end your experience is usually only as good as the insturctor. My field day was a joke but I'm sure others are very good and detailed with a lot of opportunity to ask questions.