• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

6.0 updates

ok most of you that have seen me post know that i am a dodge guy or lets say a cummings guy. i have a really close friend that is stuck on bying a used Ford 6.0 diesel. Is there an update "package" or is it just a mirage of things and if so what roughly is the cost of this work.Thanks.

Jacob

i've dumped A LOT of money into my 6.0... a lot of this could have been avoided however had I really known the things that all needed done once you have the motor apart... most dealers or mechanics either won't know, or wont tell you... My advice is dump your 6.0s by 130,000 miles...

A lot of issues stem from the high pressure oil system which drives the injectors... this is where most of my issues have been as well as the EGR and Oil Coolers...

I think most common issues found, or things updated are:

Head stud kits

EGR Cooler (i personally am thinking of getting rid of my delete and going with an aftermarket cooler so I can remove my chip, and not have a CEL)

Oil Cooler (DO THIS WITH EGR COOLER!!!)

STC Fitting in the high pressure oil pump

Injector control pressure regulator or sensor

Stand pipes and dummy plugs on oil rail

and, if any of the above fail, most likely your injectors will follow suit if not caught right away...

I have to much into my truck right not to be ahead of the game dumping it... I should have dumped it a year ago at first sign of issues.. its been a money pit, and the downtime is ridiculous... dang thing is in the shop more than the road it seems... really a pain in the rumo when you rely on it to run a business...

All brands have there issues, don't kid yourself, a lot of my issues could have been avoided had we don't the correct work, and checked ALL of the right things the very first time it was torn down...

ok most of you that have seen me post know that i am a dodge guy or lets say a cummings guy. i have a really close friend that is stuck on bying a used Ford 6.0 diesel. Is there an update "package" or is it just a mirage of things and if so what roughly is the cost of this work.Thanks.

Jacob

Don't want to come across as too pedantic, but it's "Cummins", not "Cummings". Just one of those things I notice since we used Cummins engines in some of our products for a while.

Far as the question goes, can't help there.

As a former 6.0L owner, emphasis on former, I would recommend against anyone buying one if they aren't completely confident about the condition of the motor.

Kunz has a very comprehensive list. That upgrade list will run $2500 dollars depending on who does the work and what parts you buy. The factory replacement parts are more of the same. Most of the best replacements are aftermarket.

The other major problem these trucks face is with the electrical charging system. The FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) is a transformer that steps up voltage and controls the fuel injectors.

If battery voltage or charging voltage is inadequate, the FICM doesn't work properly which causes problems with the injectors.

Injectors are another $2000 repair, the FICM is ~400 and if you need an alternator and dual batteries then thats another $350.

I had done all of the electrical repairs before my truck started showing signs of injector failures and oil cooler problems.

If he is buying form a dealer, many of them are factory refurbing the 6.0L as part of their resale prep. I'm not sure if this is a Ford directive or a dealer by dealer plan. The place I ended up trading in to did that with all 6.0L.

If this work was done, then it may not be terrible, but I would still be looking for a solid warranty.

They are very good trucks with solid chassis and the motor made a great amount of power with decent mileage, certainly better than most of the newer diesels. They are worth considering, but are tough to consider with the financial invest required.

Yes, I will say, I really like the truck as far as power, and comfort, and what not... and it currently runs better than when I purchased it with 64K on it... So... its tough tellin ya which way to go... like it and hate it all at the same time...

and now that its running on all 8 again, the sucker kicks down and hauls!

I guess my question is, does he "NEED" a diesel? If so, the f350 is a good truck, the 03 7.3L would be my first choice, followed by the new 6.7L, then to the 6.0, and the 6.4 I wouldnt even consider owning.

But as for your question of what would need to be done to it, well that all would depend, on what was done to it.

A couple things with the 6.0 diesel that tends to give them problems, and if you avoid these things, the truck will treat you well. First thing, replace the oil cooler if it hasnt been done already. The oil cooler will go bad, and cause many other issues, including problems with the egr cooler, and oil system. The next thing is dont let the truck idel for more then a couple minutes, this truck has an egr valve, which is a small orifice the diesel exhaust flows through, and by letting it idle for extended periods of time, the soot from the exhaust plugs up egr ports, intakes, turbos, etc.. Ford says, dont let it idle longer then 3 minutes. The next thing is these trucks dont like to sit for extended periods, if they do, the turbo's will get rusty, and they are variable, and the moving parts tend to rust together, and stick, and can cause an under boost, or an over boost, which can lead to blown headgaskets. This also brings up power chips, sure, you can install a chip, and increase MPG, and power, the MPG gain is very nice, but if you use the extra boost, expect the head gaskets to blow out. You can get aftermarket replacement gaskets, and stud kits installed that will hold a much higher boost pressure without blowing the gaskets, but they will cost you, mostly from the labor alone.

As Josh has stated, if you are tearing into this, to replace something, it is then wise just to do all the updates at once, since you will save a ton on labor over doing one thing a year for 5 years.

If I was forced to buy one of these, I would require the head gaskets, and stud kits be performed already, the oil cooler, has been done, and either an EGR delete kit installed, or the new beefier aftermarket egr coolers, that dont have the same issues as the stock ones.

I would like to know if, and when the high pressure oil pump has been replaced, and that it has had the updated connectors for it.

As far as injectors, regular oil changes, and fuel filter changes can make injectors last a long time. FICM, can go bad, but are easy to do, and I dont consider a deciding factor on whether I would buy one or not. Other sensors can go bad, just like any vehicle, and sensors are fairly cheap, and I also wouldnt way them into being a deciding factor of if I would buy a vehicle or not.

A summary, if he doesnt need a diesel, dont buy one. The 6.0, is not my first choice of engines, but they are a decent engine, once the problem parts have been updated. Would I buy one, it would have to be a great deal, or proof that everything has been updated already.

If I bought one at a great deal, that hasnt had any updated stuff, i would pull the engine out, install the head kits, an oil cooler, an EGR delete kit, make sure the HPOP has had the updated fittings, and I would install a tuner in it, but only for MPG, and not power. With the tuner, you can shut off the light with the egr delete kit installed. Other then that, I wouldnt fret over any other issues on it.

Yup... Thats a pretty long list there scott when ya look at it ;-) But, all very true and spot on... THIS IS THE STUFF most dealers or mechanics either do not know about these motors, or wont tell you... and it sucks to have to do the research and piece it all together while you are working on it... Like scott said, had things been adressed at the first issue, lots of other things would have been prevented in mine... at least that is my feeling...

Well I know our 3, including myself, technicians know about the short comming of the 6.0. But the service writers do not like selling "unnesesary" repairs. But they won't explain to the customers why we the technicians recommend doing these repairs.

On a side note if you "stud" the heads instead of using head bolts the cab will have to come off if the headgaskets fail due to over boost.

Jacob

If he is really a close friend you will do what is right and show him the light in terms of the Cummins and forget all about that blue oval nonsense. grin I could never live it down if I let a friend do something like that without a strong fight.