• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Team #6 "Gobbling Gonzos" Official Site

PFUNK

Alright team, my long winded story is posted in the main turkey hunting page under 2013 montana gobbler. Won't score real big, but oh well! 8 inch beard, no spurs, and 18.4 pounds. I think I remember we had one teammate hunting late, but is everyone else done now? I believe we have 3 birds now unless I am mistaken.

121_zpsdea1b21f.jpg

129_zps8ba3c4ff.jpg

Very nice bird! Is that more common for Merriams to not have spurs?

I think we only have 3 & one is definitely small. I don't believe I see a title in our immediate future...

If it's more common, I am not aware of it? All of the Merriams I have seen taken out here have had spurs, so I think this guy was just an odd ball.

We went out again the day after I shot mine and we had two toms bigger than the one I shot come running into the decoys (one was a real tank). Unfortunately my girlfriend had gotten a little cold sitting so we had moved over a few feet so she could get out of the shadows and sit in the sun. Well, we forgot to move her shotgun over with her and of course some birds came in silently from behind us, the opposite way that we were expecting them to come from. There sat her shotgun, just out of my reach. Oops. I can tell you this... I have never felt so stupid when hunting and will never let that to happen again!

Kind of like when I was hunting in a blind during fall season with my then 13 year-old son & we had two toms in front of us nice as you please that I thought were a little far for his 20 gauge, so we let them get closer & they saw us move & we botched it, should have had a double. When I thought they were at 40, they were really in the 20-25 yard range, just perfect.

That's also when I shot the pole out of my blind swinging on a running turkey. Won't do that again either, I hope...

Well it's been pretty quiet in here for awhile. Haven't heard many updates or season recaps aside from the guys who harvested birds. Anyone come up empty or anybody still out there chasing birds?

Sorry guys, I forgot to check in. I was done quite a while ago. I didn't get anything but came oh so close... we had em coming in to us but it sounded like they went past us to another field. We hurried up to get ahead of them but they never came. Well we come back to find they went right through where we were. shoulda just stayed put.

My son has a tag for the current MN season G. He's pretty casual on it, so only got him to go check a series of fields on Friday night, the first day of his season. There weren't any birds out then. I checked it yesterday afternoon & there were, but he was busy, like he was all day Saturday. Hard to get a kid a bird when they only want to go walk for a half an hour a couple of times... I keep hoping he'll get lucky & get hooked, but it's probably just wishful thinking...

A big ol nothing here also. We heard and saw birds everyday, but they wanted no part of anything by the late season. We were just trying to play the odds setting up in the right spot. Congrats to the guys that got birds though...

My son has a tag for the current MN season G. He's pretty casual on it, so only got him to go check a series of fields on Friday night, the first day of his season. There weren't any birds out then. I checked it yesterday afternoon & there were, but he was busy, like he was all day Saturday. Hard to get a kid a bird when they only want to go walk for a half an hour a couple of times... I keep hoping he'll get lucky & get hooked, but it's probably just wishful thinking...

Sounds like the rut is in full swing at your place.