• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Browning or Benelli

I am pondering which shotgun to purchase. I can't decide bewteen the Browning Gold and the Benelli Super Black Eagle. I have owned a Remington 870, No problems, just time for a 3 1/2 inch. Expierienced input much appreciated.

Browning golds are nice guns, but as stated I'd have to give my nod to SBE. Less parts easier to clean, never jams. You can pick up a gold hunter for less than a SBE new or used.

Gotta be honest though, I've since gone back to 3" heavy shot on waterfowl. Figure if I'm gonna throw expensive shells might as well throw these. I buy em' on sale and though more they are reasonably close to the cost of 3 1/2" shells. I really feel they outperform 3 1/2" loads. If using steel I've been shooting 1450 fps #1 in 3". These seem to work well.

I do use the 3 1/2" on turkeys though.

Good Luck in your decision...

Ken

First off the best advice I can give to you is to go in and see which gun "feels" right in your hands. Throw each one up a dozen or so times and see. This in my mind is a big deciding factor. I, like Chesepeke, own a SBE and switched to this from an 870. This is mainly because that gun fits me like a dream. However, I do feel that I shoot a little better with the 870. I do know people that own Gold's and like them as well. The recoil operation of the Benelli may have less of a tendacy to jam when dirty as compared to the gas system of the Browning. I have had the SBE out in ND for a week long hunt with it being dragged through mud, water, etc. without being taken apart to clean and fired every time. I feel however that you will feel more of a "kick" with the Benelli then with a gas operated gun (Browning)??? Use this for what it's worth. Don't know if it helped.

WW

Now that I think about it I would have to agree with labs I dont shoot much 3 1/2" either. N.D. for goose once a year and even then a 3" hevy shot works just fine. I shoot #2s in the cheep winchester loads for ducks because they patterned better than anything else. Geese usally get the 3 1/2". If your like me and always just want another gun just because, the sbe is a great choice, if cost is a factor you can drop down to the supper 90 but you loose the 3 1/2" capacity.

i have had a bps stalker 3 1/2 ,i bought it the first year browning introduced them. the gun never jams or has any other problems. my gun is heaver than the newer ones but you cant get the 30" barrel either.if you do go to a 3 1/2 i recomend winchester dry locks they pattern better and pack a better punch.i've had problems with federals and remingtons mis-firing they dont have the sealed crimp like winchesters.

i have had a bps stalker 3 1/2 ,i bought it the first year browning introduced them. the gun never jams or has any other problems. my gun is heaver than the newer ones but you cant get the 30" barrel either.if you do go to a 3 1/2 i recomend winchester dry locks they pattern better and pack a better punch.i've had problems with federals and remingtons mis-firing they dont have the sealed crimp like winchesters.

Go with the Benelli! I like the "feel" of the Browning Gold but I've seen a few have more than one malfunction. As for the more recoil felt from the SBE with heavy loads, not too many people are bothered by it when shooting at game.

------------------
Old Guide Charters
Lake of the Woods
http://fishingminnesota.com/oldguidecharters/
Call Toll Free:1-800-952-(9484)

cattail
I have a 870 as well and when I thought it was time for 3 1/2" I did a lot of shopping around. I decided on he SBE. Ive been extremly happy. I shoot in all conditions and i never had it jam once. Ive seen the brownings and berettas jam in colder weather and when they get a little dirty. Benelli has less mowing parts, its easyer to clean and its recoil is alot less. (especially with 3 1/2") My deciding factor was when a local gun smith asked me to look at the used rack for guns, so I did. (what do see)? Brownig, beretta, remington, mossberg, etc., You usally wont see very many benellis on the used rack. So what does that tell you. Most people are more likly to keep the benelli than the others. Dont get me wrong all these other brands are great but since I bought my sbe I dont use any other of my guns cause the sbe is awsome in every situation. I have 6 shotguns and besides the sbe I use a 20 ga. benelli montifeltro for grouse, woodcock and early season phesants. I am planning on purchaseing a over/under this year and will probally go with francis. Franci by the way is owned by benelli in case you didnt no. Any way as you can see I am a big benelli fan and had a hard time with the price tag but once I got it Id by another one no questions. My 2 cents is get the sbe you wont be disapoited.

Browning owns winchester now, so if you look at the super x2 and the gold all your paying the extra couple hundred for is the name. I personally have the 3 1/2" gold hunter and love it, the only problem is you have to clean it like its a blackpowder-everytime you shoot it. the gas ports clog up with residue, but as long as you treat it well it will treat you well-mine has never jamed, but my uncle has the super black eagle and we laugh at him because he paid 1200 for a single shot- he had it fixed by a professional 3 times this year and it still will not cycle. I love my gun, but id have to lean tward the super x.

I shot a M1 for 3 years and loved it, Traded for the SBE, no regrets. However go and look Benelli has a ***NEW ***Super Black EAGLE II and a new M2. They both look good. They have a new longer choke tube system. That might be the only reason I won't get one right away. I have 5 quick change tube I just bought last year for sporting clays.
As for fit the new benelli still has the shims to adjust drop, and I believe that you can also adjust the cast. (left or right). Good luck in your qwest.

i have the X2 i shot 5 boxes in 4 days in manitoba this fall and only cleaned it once while i was and that was only because it was raining and it didn't jam up once. But my buddy on the other had has a SBE and he had some problems because the shell doesn't always fully chamber you have to make sure it is slammed all the way forward when you load it. I am thinking about buying an extrema for next fall but haven't decided yet

I guess it would be up to you. These are both nice guns to shoot although I only shot a Beretta a few times and its been a while since I shot one. I had some buddies go dove hunting in Argentina a few years back and only guy had a Benelli, and the rest shot Beretta. The guy with the Benelli got his shoulder all bruised up and the others didnt get any bruising like the guy with the Benelli. I saw the pictures and it looked like it hurt. By the way they did shoot like 5000 plus round a piece so I would say they put a few pounds of lead down the pipe. My dad has a Beretta and he likes it so far but I think he likes his old 870 ( plain barrel no rib ) better. Myself i have 2 benelli shotguns. Super black eagle and Montefeltro both in 12 gauge. I love them both. I've had the Montefeltro a few years and just got the SBE. I used to have a Nova but i sold it because i didnt like it. i would love to get a Benelli Sport some day cuz i shot Tom Knapps Sport and just fell in love with it. I would have to say with a benelli the recoil is more noticable but I got used to it. I shot the cheapest shells you can buy thru the Montefeltro at 30$/case. I wanna say they are Estate and they work good thru both guns but target shooting is all i use them for. Cant shoot any cheaper than 30 bucks a case. I look forward to shooting the SBE this year. I would like to get another pump since i grew up using one. Sure you will pay a bit more with a benelli but i think you will be happy when you get one. I would try to shoot one and see what you think. Just like i shot the Benelli Sport and now i want one. The montefeltro has never jammed on me, its nice to carry and its never let me down. Hope you are happy with what you choose. Oh by the way I am a big fan of Benelli shotguns in case you didnt notice. Good luck

Thanks for all the input regarding the semi debate. I have heard more bad about the browning than the SBE . The SBE may cost a little more but it sounds like it is worth it. I have seen the SBE torn apart in about 30 seconds in order to clean. Can't say the same about the Browning. I also like the feel a little more with the SBE, however its not the same as the old 870. I think i have made my decided.
Thanks