• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Taking my 10 Year old to area 503 any info appreciated!!

USPENAMC

Good Morning,

Well I am a first time turkey hunter and it is basically to take my 10 year old son out turkey hunting. I picked SEASON A AREA 503. I know there is plenty of public land in that area. I am asking for some direction into any certain WMA's you would recommend. I will not be hunting only my son. my email is penasoccer at YA if you would like to send me a personal email. Any pointers, tips, and information is appreciated.

I will travel anywhere in 503 if I can get any leads rather than go out blind. I have hunted the swan lake wma off of 169 between st peter and mankato for deer but never turkey. I am thinking of looking into the LANDOWNERS list and see if there are available spots on the day I show up since it is on a first come first serve let you hunt basis.

I think you better go talk to the landowners before your season starts to find out if they have any openings left. I think to just show up at 4:30 am and expect to get on their land won't work out to well.Spend some time checking out different landowners. I've found in the past that many are tied up way before the start of the season.. Good Luck.... Nothing better than hunting with your son DrJ.......

Most landowners are hunting the first season themselves. Little chance of them letting you join them. Much better chance of gaining permission on private land during the later seasons.

I might just go back and pay the Fee to change seasons for my son. If nothing else I will just hit public land just going out there and enjoying some time with my son is a great thing to do.

Public land is a gamble especially with kids. Unfortunately all you can do is hit the road before the season and knock on doors. It will help that your hunting with your son but its still a tough sell. Think of it your a stranger asking to come onto someones land with a gun. 30 years ago that was no big deal but in today's world its a big favor to ask. I see hunting dying out as access to private land gets tougher and tougher. Certainly there are some public land turkeys but the numbers pale to what you will find on most private land. I appreciate the DNR having these youth seasons but I don't see it doing much for hunter numbers long term given access issues. It just gets overwhelming for people with kids to spend weekend after weekend trying to secure land access. There are too many other distractions for kids that you end up losing them after the 3rd or 4th person says no. Having said all that I wish you luck, post how it ends up going for you and your son.