• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sump pump

Tom7227

The sump pump is working over time this morning. You might want to check and make sure that yours is working and that the outlet line isn't frozen. If it is frozen about the only thing I can think of is to put a lot of hot water into the basket and see if you can can thaw it out.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Wouldn't it be more troublesome to be pumping hot water if the outlet is frozen? The water, in the short term has no where to go until it thaws. I suppose if your basement is not finished or whatever no harm, but in a finished basement it could be troublesome.

Rubber mallet along the outlet pipe?

Hot water in the basin would do nothing as there is no way for the hot water to get to the ice. If I ran into the problem I would probably hook a hose to a faucet (or even the drain spigot on the water heater) bring the other end out to the outlet and run it up the pipe as far as you can go and blast away. Be sure to wear rubber gloves as that hose will get HOT!

After the first time that happened to me, I ran one of those roof heating cables from just above the pump to the end of the outlet (after things warmed up and dried up.

Won't help this year, but you will be set next year.

If it isn't buried too far down, I would lay down some heat cable or tape and cover it with foam insulation and try to thaw it. Or you could power auger it from the outlet end, if accessible.