• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite gimmicky or Oddball Bass baits

RuddyDuck

Spawning off the old school thread, What are some of your favorite or not so favorite baits that you have used or were glad you didn't buy? I will probably date my self with some of these choices.

I always loved the "The Throbber", top water bait, by Whopper Stopper. Liked the bait and name on that one. I still have it but it doesn't quiver like it used to. It was suppose to quiver in the water, like a live frog.

I also still have the Mann's Hard worm crankbait. Odd looking thing, might of caught a pike on it once, but not real proud of that one. It looked like a worm, but was a longer crankbait. I'm not making these names up for you younger folks! These two were products of the 80's.

I always thought the Bud beer can crankbaits were cool but never had one myself. Ok what are some of your favorites.

The Flying Lure was a complete joke, so was the copter bait. Not 1 fish was caught on either. I learned my lesson from those and havent purchased a gimmick bait since. Although Id be lying if I said I didnt have the urge to call in and order the banjo minnow. Ive also thought about ordering the cheena bait. Jeez Im a sucker.

The best "oddball" bait Ive come to use is a plain weedless spoon tipped with an Uncle Josh's frog pattern "bass strip" works awesome.

I have used the banjo minnow. I didn't buy it, but the GF at the time did. It caught some fish, but so would a fluke which I guess is what it is.

What's that topwater plastic spoon that had a metal spinner deal (wasn't a blade) and was a green camo color and had rubber skirting.

I do have an old frog jointed crankbait made from wood with metal lip. Bought it at a garage sale in my teens. I won't use it (to cool for a pike to take), but it has been used. No idea who made that.

Bass are genitically programmed to attack the banjo minnow! Thats what my friend always qouted from the unfomercial. Obviously he was a tool for marketing wink [/quote

Yup, the banjo minnow triggered a "genetic response" they had to eat it.

They actually did work. I would bike to the lake as a kid and throw it around trees and docks and catch lots of fish.

But like stated earlier. They are like a fluke.

This thread brought back a memory from the 1995 or 1996 Minnetonka Top 100 Bassmasters tournament. Claude "Fish" Fishburne was on stage with a very small limit. Mayber 7 lbs for 5 bass. Everybody had 12 pounds or more and the leaders had over 20lbs. He saw Roland Martin in line behind him. Roland was a big Helicopter lure promotor on the infomercial. Fishburne says to the crowd "This is what you catch when you fish nothing but the helicopter lure for 8 hours!" grin

I fell for the Wiggle Fin last year. It is a funnel shaped disc that is supposed to provide wicked action for plastics. The only value I got from it was the ability to talk up a new secret weapon to my fishing buddies.

I suppose there are enough days between Ice fishing ending and opener that a guy could fall for anything!

The Bionic Minnow and Bionic Frog. I caught hundreds of bass on those things. Unfortunately the quality on the heads was pretty shoddy. I ordered a second larger kit and half the minnow heads weren't any good. I eventually wore out all of my good minnow heads and never ordered again.

My mom got me the Flying Lure for Christmas. I thought they worked ok, but it was tough to feel a bite on the tackle I used at the time. That was before Fireline and other super lines came out and my rods weren't that great.

Gordie - Gapen's Ugly Bug was the real deal man. My God have I caught river smallies on those things.

Mann's Hard Worm - Oh my. I had a jointed one. Don't think I ever even caught a pike on it, which is saying something.

Banjo minnows did work, but it was the rigging not the miinnow. A coil keeper on a hook bend is still a pretty good way to rig a fluke. When I guided in Alaska Mann's Jellyhoos rigged like that absolutely destroyed big pike.

Now I'm getting into gadgets, but how about the Color-C-Lector. Did that actually work or was it just another thing for Roland and Mr.Dance to sell? They always use to use it. I always thought it was a gimmick, but I never had one, so I don't know for sure. Another great product of the 80's I believe.

The Flying Lure was a complete joke, so was the copter bait. Not 1 fish was caught on either. I learned my lesson from those and havent purchased a gimmick bait since.

I caught some really nice bass on the flying lure fishing from shore when I was younger. Wouldn't buy it again but I had some surprising results when I did use it.

Joe