• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Team #8 "SPUR COLLECTORS" Official Site

bluehat28

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went down to Iowa monday morning and was feeling pretty good when a bunch of Toms started gobbleing on the roost about 100 yds away. Two toms & a hen slowly worked there way towards me. At about 8am they finally came up to the field where I was in. I had a shot at both of them at 40 yds, but thought I would wait until they went into the field, which was the wrong move. I think for some reason, they didnt like my 2 hen decoy set up and they went the other way. The one started to strut right on the edge of the field. I then looked back at the second one and they both disappeared. I wish I would have just taken the shot. Later on in the afternoon, I had a tom with a dozen hens come within fifty yds. They were working there way towards me and slowly turn around. I didn t try to call them because they were working towards me.

Tuesday morning I tryed It again, set up down in the woods thinking they travel some what the same area, but I was wrong they flew and walked into the field. Another group went to the south and west. I walked up to the field edge and noticed they were working a fence. So I tried to head them off. I got up to the fence line, but the birds never got closer than fifty yds. Finally they went on to the neighbors property. I went to two other places and walked around, but didnt see or hear anything.

Thursday late afternoon, I drove in all that crappy weather for a few hours of hunting the last day. I figured I would position myself to intercept them on there way back to roost. I did see two hens but that was it. They must of roosted in a different location. That was my first time hunting that piece. I learned alot about the land and how to hunt it.

On Monday I did have a guy and his two kids come walking by. I dont think he helped me out any, because they were walking right towards the birds. Im assuming he pushed further away.

Headed to Camp Ripley to help with the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) hunt next week. I see they got 10" of new snow again so that should make it very interesting. Either way it will be fun and I hope he see's some birds!

Sounds like a fair amount of us will be hunting this week? Good luck everyone. As any other season for me seems like the weather will not be the best. The gobblers still do what they do, it is just not as enjoyable to be out there.

Just got back from Kansas and put the smack down on 2 gobblers! I gotta unpack and repack because my MN season D starts. I'll be heading to the Winona area. Weather is sounding tough but hopefully I can make something work out. Once I get some time ill enter everything and photos!

I am going to wait out the weather and hunt Sunday and Monday in the Red Wing area. After this weather the toms are probably going to be going crazy. Look to add some points to ghost's score.

We have been coming to Winona area for 15 yrs. this is hands down the worst weather ever. However this morning I had more action than I did all of last year. Limited to no gobbling but the birds were moving all over. Good luck! Hopefully we can get a bird down together!

after my finals at UMD ill be headed home to the city. and give my public land spot a try with my bow! next weekend i might drive around Carlton county and see if i can see and do a little run and gun! but idk any spots up here.

Congrats bluehat and ghost on your birds and good luck to everyone hunting or goin to be soon. I better start doing little shooting with the bow. It will be time soon.

Went out and set my new blind in my spot today at noon. Saw a few birds before we walked out and alot of sign in the woods. I won't be able to go Tuesday morning but will be out there nice and early Wed morning. My dad will be hunting out there in the morning. He is going to be on the field edge, My spot is about 300yds from him on a ridge deep in the woods.

Bow is shooting great so as long as I dont mess up and the birds cooperate it should be a fun hunt again. Good luck to whoever goes out in the morning!

Nice bird!

Had a chance at a jake this morning but I am going to hold out for a nice tom. He was at 8yds only about a 3" beard. He was nice enough to wake me up from my nap with a gobble. I will have to start staying awake lol.

I will be out again in the morning.