• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shotgun Suggestions

MNCPRGUY

I've shot full-sized 870s (12 & 20 ga) since I was 12. I was a pretty big kid though. Get him a youth model 870 Express in 20 ga. chambered in 3". More than adequate for upland game and will still kill the carp outta ducks and geese if you teach them to wait for good shots. When they get bigger, just buy an adult stock for it. Sure, the kids will wanna upgrade to a 12 in a couple years. But I still love having a 20 for grouse & doves. And the Express is cheap enough that you can buy another one in 2-4 years without breaking the bank. Or upgrade them to a good auto later on.

For you, I'd look real close at the Beretta A300. Best auto for the $ IMHO, & you'd be real close to your 2 guns for >$1000.

Whatever you choose, your kids will love it. My best memories growing up are sitting in a duck blind with my old man.

+1 for the youth 870. The pumps have a little more metal and therefore weight to them, which makes them kick less.

I have a long history with 870s, and personally recoil has never really been a problem with me. I personally think that if you have the right mindset recoil takes a back seat, that being said I know how much it sucks having a shoulder full of mincemeat. I shot a rabbit with my dad's 12 gauge 870 at the age of 6 or 7. Now, I was a big kid, and when your shooting at something living recoil doesnt really seem as bad, but still, the weight of the 870 kept the recoil to bearable. This weight also attributes to the pointability and balance that the 870s are so famous for. Within 3 or four years of that rabbit i was using the same 870 with 3 in mags for ducks. My point is that the heavier the gun, the less it will kick. I think a 20 gauge 870 is a very good balance between heavy enough to absorb some recoil, but still light enough so that you can carry it for a long time on those pheasant or grouse hunts. I do suggest that you make sure you get one chambered in 3", because then you have the versatility of going to ducks and other game that is a little tougher.

Good luck to you and your son. like fishahaulik said, whatever you get him, he will like it. There is nothing like the feeling of pulling that trigger and seeing the puff of feathers.

Thanks for all the responses. I did a ton of research that started here and ended at the gun shop. In between I visted a several gun stores and spoke with numerous hunters.

I ended up with two guns. A 20 ga. Mossberg 500 combo and a 12 ga. Remington 870 express combo. Thanks again for all the feedback. Now it's off to the range. :-)