• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
MNCPRGUY

Shotgun Suggestions

My son is finishing up firearm safety and would like to start shooting. I am planning to join the local range as soon as the ground thaws. We'll likely focus on shooting clay pigeons and then try some pheasant hunting in the fall.

I'm not looking to purchase the top of the line guns, but would like decent quality at a reasonable price. I'm hoping to stay unde $1000 for two guns. I haven't done much research yet, but my first thought is to buy a youth Remington 870 for him, and an 1187 for myself.

I'd appreaciate your thoughts and advise.

look a the mossberg auto in 20 ga - youth gun. Price should be in the $375-$425 range. Comes in synthetic. The gun is made for mossberg from Europe. Got mine from Reeds in Walker.

Got one for my 11 yr old and its great. He started shooting the 870 youth 20 ga - the mossberg is much better.

Best of luck.

Can't beat an 870. I bought mine when I was 12 (17 years ago) and it's still going strong. Ive since added an SX3, but still use the 870 regularly.

Nova's bark but after a couple licks he'll learn to shoulder it well. Going on 15yrs with mine and it has served me well. If that gun would have a mouth the stories it would tell would be endless.

Mossberg 500, Remington 870, Winchester SXP, Browning BPS and Benelli Nova are all excellent choices for a first shotgun. Some are more expenseive than others. The Mossberg can be bought in a combo that includes a regular barrel with choke tubes and a rifled slug barrel. Very versatile combo set-up for a reasonable cost.

how old is the kid?

My dad got me a full size 870 when I was about 13 or 14. It was a bit big, but in 2 years it was easily manageable.

Still shoot it today.

He's 14, but just broke 100 lbs. His sister is 13 and they'll be sharing the gun so I'm thinking a youth size is gonna work best for a few years.

Is 20 ga what I should be looking at for clay targets and pheasant?

My son is doing hunter safety next week. He is left eye dominant, so I'm trying to decide on a gun. I'm thinking a BPS micro in 20. It has the tang safety and ejects from the bottom. If he was right eye, it would be much easier and cheaper.

I'm a lefty and shoot right handed guns. Would be nice to have a lefty in every model, but unfortunately they don't. My last shotgun purchase was the Benelli Nova. Right eject, but I wasn't going to spend and extra $300 for a BPS. As long as the stock isn't asymmetrical, it doesn't matter. Still kinda bugs me that the shells fly out the wrong way, but doesn't affect my shooting or the performance of the gun.

Surely by now you have thought of switching to a double gun, side-by-side or over/under. You can find a nice one at reasonable price or go to the used market and get a great old gun at a fair price.

Hell, most of the time you throw away that third shot anyway. LOL

My son is finishing up firearm safety and would like to start shooting. I am planning to join the local range as soon as the ground thaws. We'll likely focus on shooting clay pigeons and then try some pheasant hunting in the fall.

I'm not looking to purchase the top of the line guns, but would like decent quality at a reasonable price. I'm hoping to stay unde $1000 for two guns. I haven't done much research yet, but my first thought is to buy a youth Remington 870 for him, and an 1187 for myself.

I'd appreaciate your thoughts and advise.

great choices you could also look at the Remington Versa Max for you too

My son is doing hunter safety next week. He is left eye dominant, so I'm trying to decide on a gun. I'm thinking a BPS micro in 20. It has the tang safety and ejects from the bottom. If he was right eye, it would be much easier and cheaper.

I hope you have better luck with the bps then all the ones I have encountered. The ones I have shot and my friends have owned have a problem dropping the empty out and the next live round when pumping. I would never purchase one 2c

Surely by now you have thought of switching to a double gun, side-by-side or over/under. You can find a nice one at reasonable price or go to the used market and get a great old gun at a fair price.

Hell, most of the time you throw away that third shot anyway. LOL

Over rated for the $$$$$$$$ and not for a beginner

I would get a 870 youth or a mossberg super bantam and put a sims recoil pad on it. If you really want get the recoil down buy the kids the auto and you get a pump 2c

Mossberg 500 12 gauge pump I have had forever, most durable gun I have found.

Well A'snipe, I have no quarrel with your 870 reccomendation, but why you say O/U or SXS too complicated and not for beginner? What could be simpler then a break open gun? Easy to unload, makes fence crossing easy, solidly built generally without a bunch of moving parts, overall shorter and lighter weapon.

It may well be a little more expensive but I'm sure you can find a nice used O/U of some brand that will fit a young person.

The 870 or Mossberg pumps are surely a good reccomndation. But lets not give the impression the double guns are "not for beginners".

Actually, for a very small and slightly built kid the 20 youth model #500 is a great little gun. And a good home defense gun too.

I would go with the 870 for sure. anything but semi. They're easier to maintain and clean. 12 will be good for trap and it will give you what you need for pheasant. And the upside is the 870 will be the most common and cheapest gun you will find used. they are solid too. Good Luck!

Definately can't go wrong with the 870. I inherited my Grandfathers and love that gun. Its gotta be close to 50 years old. I use it for mostly pheasant hunting, but I've also shot plenty of slugs thru it. It still works flawlessly.

I would get him a 12 gauge. Use 2 3/4" light loads and an improved cylinder for the first year. It won't kick very much and he will have a lot more success with the wider choke and the extra amount of shot that a 12 gauge puts out.

Nels

look a the mossberg auto in 20 ga - youth gun. Price should be in the $375-$425 range. Comes in synthetic. The gun is made for mossberg from Europe. Got mine from Reeds in Walker.

Got one for my 11 yr old and its great. He started shooting the 870 youth 20 ga - the mossberg is much better.

Best of luck.

Bought the same gun (if it is the SA20) for my son about 4 years ago and it was a great little gun. Light, not much recoil and he shot it better than I can shoot. He was growing out of it so last fall I bought him a CZ 712 ALS with the adjustable ATI stock so he can adjust the LOP as he grows and that has also been a very good gun that I would highly recommend if you want your son in a 12g rather than a 20. It's longer and heavier though. That Mossy was great for carrying around in the field in the fall without wearing the young guys out.

Just my $.02....12 ga steel loads are cheaper than 20 ga steel loads. Put him in an 835 Turkey gun and find some light load 12 ga.

dukhntr

Can't beat the Mossberg 500 combo in 12 gauge for all around skeet and hunting. Had mine for a long time and never a problem.

I absolutely love my Benelli Nova 20-Gauge Pump. I have had it for roughly 5-6 years, and it is still my primary gun, for me at 19 years of age, when I am out in the field at.

I contemplated this question too. My kids are only 6 and 8 and both have won guns. One won an 870 20g and the other a Mossberg 500 20 gauge both pumps. I have watched numerous kids shoot trap at ages 10 to 12 and a big problem I see with pumps is they are not strong enough to pump the gun shouldered and pointed down range after the shot. They bring the gun down and pump it across their body and now the barrel is pointed off to the left or right depending on which hand they are. After seeing this and the fact that an semi auto has a lot less kick I traded both guns off on 2 new Franchi 720's. They are super light and with not much kick. My kids won't be able to use them for a few more years but with the price of guns going up I bought them now. I'd say if there is any one gun to stay away from it's the single shot with a hammer. Why some parents continue to start children out with these dangerous things is beyond me.

For $100, I started my son out with a brand new Remington SPR 100 single shot 20 gauge at age 9. It is a solid break open single shot that doesn't have a hammer. Has a push button safety on the back of the trigger guard just like an 870.

Single shots do have a bit more recoil but my son was a big kid. Gave it to him in April with light trap loads and by fall he was dropping ducks with 3" mag tungston loads.

He shot that gun for a couple years before getting his new 870 Wingmaster. Easy transition. He's dropping ducks and geese at age 14.