• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question on removing water stain from wood.

CigarGuy

Is sanding the only way to remove this discoloration along the bottom of the garage? Would power washing work? What product should I use to finish/stain it when I'm done removing it. I'm afraid sanding is the only way to remove it! I have two other buildings with similar discoloration. Thanks...full-35677-31539-087.jpg

Looks like the sun beat up the original coating and then water dripping from the roof may have churned up some dirt and debris that discolored the bottom 18 inches or so. You may want to consider putting some gutters up and then putting some sort of material a couple feet out from the house that would keep the dirt further away. Some heavy mulch maybe.

If it's dirt the bleach won't do much. The power washer may fur up the wood surface and make a mess. I would try a stiff brush or broom with some detergent and liberal rinsing as you work fairly small areas.

I've painted and stained a few places that have looked like that before. Typically we would power wash it-but be care as if you are too aggressive you will start to cut into the siding. Also, a little scrubbing with a mildew/mold detergent and some bleach works well.

Typically you can't get the entire discoloration out though.

I have the same thing,Powerwashing gets most of it.Its dirt and grime imbeded into the wood.Like Tom7227 said install rain gutters,it is from water splashing.I will say you will never get it all off and its had it now.If you can live with a little change in color wash and forget it! Get them rain gutters up!!

OK, Here is the deal. The wood has pores running along the length of the wood and they are taking in and getting rid of moisture as the temp and humidity change. The way to stop that is to seal the wood with a clear sealer. While what you are seeing may not be getting into the pores, my point is you need to seal the entire piece of wood and not just one side if you want to have the finish last. If you seal the face, the wood will still take in moisture from the back side and eventually that moisture will cause the finish to flake off as it loses the adhesion to the wood.

The fact is that it will be impossible to do that but I just wanted to let you know that no matter what finish you use, it may not last as long as either advertised or as long as we would like it to before it needs to be redone. So just go with a good quality name brand product and as others have recommended take a power washer to it but be careful not to use too much direct pressure or you will get the sand blasted effect. The scrub brush, bleach and deck cleaners will all help make it look much better and prep it for treatment.

One other thing, depending on temp and humidity as well as how much it is raining you want to give the wood time to dry out from the washing for a while before you seal it or the moisture gets trapped behind the finish and you accelerate what I described above. Just my $.02

Use the deck cleaner as Pat said. Spray it on and then get after it and scrub it with a bristle broom. Do the heavily stained area first then overlap that with a second application to blend it out.

What to put on top that you'll get a of of replies. Whatever you choose I'd go for a close match to the original clear or cedartone sealer you have on there now but as you can see its been neglected. Keep up on the treatment/sealer before it gets to the point it is now.