• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bye Bye Backwaters/Duck Hunting?!?!?

I posted this on the political power forum, but I thought I'd get a second opinion here. One of my buddies called me the other day in a panic, saying that one of his friends had heard that the army corps of engineers was planning on eliminating a large number of backwater acres on the Mississippi In Minnesota/Wisconsin to provide for more farm land. In doing so they would close the duck season (at least on the Miss) for 10 years because of the effect this would have on the duck population. Fisrt it would eliminate nesting grounds, second it would make hunting on the river much easier because there would be less water for the ducks to work.
I know the corps of engineers has done similar things in other states (specifically Missouri), but could this really be true??? I just can't imagine it happening here. Anyone heard anything???

Fish On!

Iron Man

they better not even be considering it...but if they were, i think it gets kind of sketchy when they talk about closing the duck season for 10 yrs....If they were really planning on doing that, I think DU would be all over it and we'd have all heard something.

S.A.

I cannot see the Federal Gov't going for taking away areas of possible nesting sights for crops. Just does not seem to be the direction they are going. As we all know and have seen, the rivers DO come back up and reclaim the area, maybe not permanently but remember the Red River a few years back?

Well, thanks for easing my mind for the time being. I don't mean to start a panic, but I needed to get more info. You can bet that if they do try to pull something like that, the capital steps will get pretty crowded. I know I'd be out there. If you hear anything related to this, please let us know. Thanks!

Fish On!

Iron Man