• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what brand line?

st.crioxfishin

What brand line are you guys using for the following: Mono, Flouro, and Braid. Just curious to hear what everyone is using. I'm contemplating trying some new stuff this year just to experiment. Here's what I've been using the last few years...

Mono - Trilene Big Game

Flouro - Trilene 100%

Braid - Power Pro

Let's hear it!

Mono - Sufix Siege or Trilene XT

Fluoro - Depends on what I'm doing. Toray Superhard for jigs/pitching; Sunline FC Sniper for cranks, jigworms, tubes and drop-shotting (casting distance w/cranks and handles better on spinning gear)

Braid - Sufix Performance Braid, Sufix 832, Northland Braid (which is quite good) and Sufix Fuse.

Mono: Suffix Siege and Cabelas Pro Line

Fluoro: Cabela's Flouro

Braid: None

For those that use the Trilene Big Game, how do you like it? Thought of trying some on a pole or two. I guess I'm cheap and liked the price of it, but wasn't sure of the quality of it. As long as I am asking about inexpensive line, any one try the Stren High Impact line, looks kinda like the Big Game stuff also and is sitting right next to it at Walmart.

Mono: Trilene XL and Trilene Big Game

Fluoro: Invisx and new this year Suffix Castable Invisiline

Braid: Power Pro

I gave Sufix Castable a try last year and didn't like. Give it a whirl and I'll bet you go back to InvzX.

Mono: Suffix Siege and Cabelas Pro Line

Fluoro: Cabela's Flouro

Braid: None

For those that use the Trilene Big Game, how do you like it? Thought of trying some on a pole or two. I guess I'm cheap and liked the price of it, but wasn't sure of the quality of it. As long as I am asking about inexpensive line, any one try the Stren High Impact line, looks kinda like the Big Game stuff also and is sitting right next to it at Walmart.

Big Game is great line for spinnerbaits and topwaters. It's durable, really handles nicely, does have some stretch...overall just a good mono especially for reaction baits. I know a lot of guys that swear by it for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, topwaters, etc. I use a ton of it open water trolling for muskies actually. Plus you can't beat the price. 15# Big Game has a lot of uses...

Thanks for the info guys. The new suffix fluorocarbon and seaguar invisx has peaked my interest - might have to try them. Looks like suffix fluoro has some pretty good reviews on the internets... I was wondering if anyone had jumped into the sunline or gamma pool - looks like a few have. I know that stuff is good, but I can't bring myself to spend that much on a spool of line.

As for the big game mono - I really like it for the price and quality. I use it for exactly what RK says - spinnerbaits & topwater.

Bob -

I finally acknowledged the obvious with fluorocarbon... You get what you pay for. I switched to Toray Superhard upgrade for jigs/pitching, and Sunline Sniper for cranks, and on spinning gear.

The Toray is unbelievable stuff. Incredibly durable, amazing how well you can feel with it. A slack line bite on a jig will sometimes rattle the line in the guides. It's painfully expensive (@ $37 for a 164 yd spool), but what I've found is it lasts far longer than cheaper fluoro. I can fish a whole season with it, and I'm pretty picky about changing line. I used to respool with cheaper fluoro a couple times a season. Look at it that way and it becomes a wash cost-wise pretty quickly.

Toray spools are marked half way through the spool (the line turns pink for a couple feet) so you can get exactly half a spool on a reel and get two reels filled off each spool, which is a nice touch. I love the stuff - will never go back to cheaper fluoro.

What you do have to understand about Japanese fluoro is their rating system is different than US lines. They rate break strength very close to the actual breaking strength, unlike US companies. So you have to pay attention more to line diameter. You might normally us 12# in a US line, but would use a higher rated Japanese line and have the same diameter. I use 16# Toray for jigs, 20 for pitching, and use #12 Sunline Sniper for cranks, and either 6 or 8 on spinning gear.

I will second Rk on getting what you pay for. I have never dropped that much on flouro but the only cheaper one I have found to be decent is seagar red lable otherwise I like my pline 100% or berkley vanish which will set ya bad around $20...it seems like a lot but its worth not dealing with twists and line breaks.

Just one of the many things that makes this addiction more expensive than meth it seems! Spent way to much already this year and lakes still have ice!

Mono - P Line

Fluro - Sunline & Invisx (dropshot, shakeyhead and 1, 20# football jig)

Braid - Power Pro (Original). Tried the new slick, diameter is too big, not enough line coating and the weaves are not as tight. Gave away close to 1,000yds.

M-vicious co-poly

F-100% berkley

B-vicious or power pro

i am not a big believer in "line shy" fish. specially here on the mississippi. back in cali on clear deep water lakes i would bed fish with flouro, but mono for my cranks and braid for most else. phasing out flouro this year.