• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just want to get a feel for what used last year for waterfowl hunting, what was your main gun for geese and ducks, i have been using a super black eagle for 2 years now and love it.

All this talk about dogs and waterfowl guns is getting me all warm inside. I've been shooting a Rem 870 Supermag with a Rem 1100 3" as back-up for the past 3 seasons. The only time the trusty 870 has jammed is when I get a piece of my glove or jacket cuff in the wrong place. All this while going through 1+ case of shells per season. Later.

Ed

My brother and a couple freinds got the new browning 10gauges this year, they perform pretty well but 10 gauge? is it necessary? I dont think you have a good variety of shells to pick from either. They got the browings they are fairly light compared to the remington 10 gauges, they are beasts.

I bought one of those Franchi Varimax 912's last year cause i wanted to try out a gas auto and i sold it the next year, lol. junk, it never jammed or anything it just didn't fit well i guess. I couldn't hit anything with it!!! ahhaa

I love my sbe i shoot 3" on pheasant and 3.5" on geese and ducks. Love the benelli, a montefeltro would be sweet to use on pheasants in S.D. you could walk all day with that stick! they are light i would love to try one out. How did that M1 treat you, i want to get one of those for deer.

The m1 was fine until I tried to do some gun smithing of my own. Something came loose in the recoil tube- I used a pliars to grab it and a wrench on the nut- not realizing there is red lock tite on the nut blush.gif . So I put a small kink in the tube, which was mostly straightened out. When the temps got below 20 you could feel it hand up a bit. So I traded up to a sbe.

I shoot a nova with a slug barrell for deer.

I almost forgot the hulls from hevi shot were too long once shot to eject properly from the M-1 no proplems with the sbe.

[This message has been edited by TV BOY (edited 01-08-2004).]

I shoot a Franchi Veloche in 20ga. for everything. Lighter gun, lighter recoil. I can shoot several hundred round at sporting clay before I get tired. The guys shooting 12's are already done.

Scotty

The 10ga isnt overkill for geese, in some ways it is better cause there is a better chance of a clean kill and less of a chance of a wounded bird, on the other hand it does encourage sky blasting which sucks if you are the only one without one LOL. yeah i agree with you, i wouldnt want one. Talking about hunting is making me anxious for next year and we have a long ways to go!!! How is that nova treating you guys, have you ever pinched your hand from the pump going all the way back to the reciever?? Some guys said he did that sometimes with his, but i dont know how he would.

I agree that the 10 ga as well as the 3 1/2 encourage sky busting. ( another topic that gets me worked up ). I shot a 20 ga. for years and my wife takes geese with a 20.

Its not the number of pellets its where you put them grin.gif

[This message has been edited by TV BOY (edited 01-08-2004).]

had a Nova for a couple years and finally sold it early this past fall. Didnt really like it and then sold my 870 ( I didnt really use it so I sold it.) Which left me with my Montefeltro in 12 gauge. Nice gun has never let me down. Use it for everything but didnt go goose hunting yet. Hope to get some goose hunting in this next fall and try out my new super black eagle. I thought i would have to get used to the higher rib on the SBE but it didnt seem to be any different from what i'm used to on my Montefeltro. I can still throw 3 clays with one and dust all 3. Been trying to do what Tom Knapp does but not as good as he is, five clays is the most i shot before they hit the ground. Practice pays off. Put 6 boxes through the SBE the other day and it worked good with just 1 1/8 oz loads. Cant wait to try it out in the blind. I would like to get another 870 because i always liked using a pump.
As far as 10 ga. goes, i dont think its an overkill its just like deer rifles. Sure a 300 win mag will knock deer down but so will a 243 or 270 or whatever the hunter chooses. Its where you place that shot.
Have fun shooting! Brian

All this talk about duck and goose hunting is making me have a hard time at work. I have shot a 870 supewrmag for four years and love it. 3 1/2" 2's in late Oct. in N.D. work wonders .

Sifty

It doesn't get any better than watching those greenheads fall from the North Dakota sky.....How many more days to go?

[This message has been edited by TV BOY (edited 01-09-2004).]

Being a left hander I shoot a Browning BPS in both the 10 and 12 gauge varieties. I use the 10 for geese and big mallards only. Even though the Browning is a light 10 gauge swinging it on a teal or bill is almost impossible.

i dont know if i will ever switch.... i have shot a remington 870 3" and that thing has been through hell and back and never a jam or malfunction, man i love that gun.. this topic dont help me any either since my buddy just got back last weekend from texas and had a blast....looks like i can add another trip to my books for next year!!!

i shoot a bps 3 1/2 12 gauge with a 30"brl.i to am a left handed shooter.i have had my bps for about 10 years.the only thing that wears out is the stalker matte finish.it gets shinny if i dont get it re-finised about every 3 years.i love my bps if it broke tommorrow i would get a new one (shaddow grass of course) or maybe ill just get a spare-lol

I'm with canvasback kid...Rem 870 supermag, with Rem 870 Express as backup. I refuse to spend alot of money on a gun that gets dropped in the mud, set in water, stepped on by the dog, rained on, sleeted on and banged around constantly in the boat.

I've shot a ton of ducks with the Express (2 3/4) and never had a problem. When the supers went on sale I picked up one of them.

Testamonial: My bud has a Wingmaster and we hunted some flooded timber a few years back. We were there at 3:00 am holding down the spot with deeks, backpacks, waters, dog, and of course guns. As we set up camp, my bud says,'so where did you put your gun'...I pointed out the $180 Express with my headlamp...over there. I had it leaning against a tree with the entire stock in the water. He said, 'well I can't do that with my gun'. I said, 'not my problem, buy a gun you don't mind beating the dump out of..this is duck hunting, not trap shooting'...he had to walk his gun to dry land...about 80 yards of downed trees, flooded grass, etc! Don't expect a gun to stay pristine in the duck boat/blind!

I've shot the browning A-5 for years, when winchester came out with tne Super x 2, got one of them.Great gun it,s been in the drink a few times, and has never given me a problem.I just bought a Traditions waterfowler 2 ,its a over and under Great gun 2 shots but how many more do you need?(lol). Next season were taking our black powders out. That ought to be somthing fill the timber with smoke.