• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
RainyEye

San Diego fishing ideas?

My wife, daughter and her friend and I will be visiting in the San Diego area at the end of May, and while fishing isn't our main agenda, we may want to try some shore fishing or maybe a 1/2 day charter trip. There is a Groupon right now for $32 for a half day charter out of Fisherman's Landing in SD, but I don't know if it's worth it or not. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

Last time I was in SD was 1999. Wife was at some seminar for work. I went on a half day bottom fishing party boart. It was a hoot! One guy caught a 30# yellow fin Tuna for the big fish of the day pot.

Rockin' Randy

This is a little off your topic, but when you get to San Diego and if you like Mexican food make it a point to go into Old Town. A place called Coyote Cafe....unbelievable authentic Mexican Food. Wish they delivered....great city.

My wife, daughter and her friend and I will be visiting in the San Diego area at the end of May, and while fishing isn't our main agenda, we may want to try some shore fishing or maybe a 1/2 day charter trip. There is a Groupon right now for $32 for a half day charter out of Fisherman's Landing in SD, but I don't know if it's worth it or not. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

For that price, I would do it. If nothing else you get out on the water for half a day. And you get to fish.

Thanks guys for the info, might have to do the charter and then go to the Coyote Cafe.

Getting out on the water, even if the fishing isn't too good would be nice, might even see some whales.

If you are thinking about a whale watch, go to "amazon local deals", or maybe groupon. I have seen specials on whale watches on the amazon for san diego local deals.

I was out in the SD LA area just last August. Did a half day charter out of the Anehiem area (forgetting the name right now). They can get crowded depending on the day and time. Also I would check and see what type of fish is biting at the time of the year you are going out. That changes too. Sometimes they target different species or go out farther in the morning vs the afternoon half days. We didn't catch anything big. They were targeting rock fish and sand dabs (mini flounders) when we went out. All pretty small fish. We did see dolphins and some seals on the way out and back. Some close to the boat. Oh and if you get sea sick like I do when I lose sight of the shore bring plenty of dramamine or you won't be able to get back to shore soon enough!!

If you want to see seals and sea lions, drive up to the cove in La Jolla, like 15 minutes from downtown SD. Tons of them, and pelicans too. And some cormorants, for those who miss them.

You can get within a relatively close distance to the seals and sea lions. Don't get too close, however.

As for fishing there are a bunch of piers that you can fish off.

Here is a link. Reports are not up to date, but there is a give away paper.

http://www.sdfish.com/places-to-fish/piers

and the news

http://www.fishrapnews.com/

And the headboats going for rockfish seem to be doing well

LOCAL ROCKFISH EXCELLENT

Posted On March 29, 2013

By: Terrence Berg

The rockfish bite all along the coast -- from the Channel Islands to San Diego -- has been very good. Most anglers are getting from five to seven rockfish on half-day trips and near-limits or limits on three-quarter-day or full-day trips. The run-up to the full moon March 27 was very good, thanks to the very good tides this past week. A couple of examples: Victory out of Pierpoint Landing was on a three-quarter-day trip March 25 with 23 anglers, and they landed 171 rockfish, 69 bocaccio, 19 sculpin, five whitefish and five sheephead. Southern Cal, also out of Pierpoint, was out on a half-day trip March 25 with 19 anglers, and they landed 146 rockfish and 44 bocaccio. New Del Mar out of Marina del Rey Sportfishing had a pair of half-day trips on March 25, and the 64 anglers had 445 rockfish. On March 24, the 120 anglers on the two half-day trips had 1,065 rockfish.

Thanks, Del, for the detailed information! This will help us make some decisions.