• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

? On roofing supplies

K_Josh87

I know there are a couple roofing guys on here, and Here is myquestion on suppliers. Who do you guys go with,and are there significant savings going to a direct supplier over a lumber yard. I am looking to be set up with a telehandler and flat bed trailer, so I could much more easily be running to pick up materials, and be getting them up on roofs myself now, making it possible to get shingles elsewhere... Just thought I would pick your guys` brains a little bit. Thanks

With some of the bigger supply houses charging $50 to deliver locally (rooftop) I would guess you'll spend more than that on fuel let alone the maintenance, D.O.T and the other headaches that go along with having more equipment and doing it yourself. 2c

Alside, ABC and Roof Depot are the supply houses we've used in the past.

On a side note I have gotten out of the trade since we talked last but I will be doing some part time sales this year for the same company I used to work for.

Josh, I totally agree with Chad regarding the costs, hassles, etc. involved with owning your equipment vs using a wholesale distributor. I have some great information for you, but your mail box is full.

ha, not buying the equipment to roof a few houses a year, The equipment is for the post frames we put up.. so got to have it one way or another... just looking on ways to bring more in house... local yard don't charge a dime to deliver and boom to the roof top... so if they are not that much less at the supply houses, there is no sense in running to the cities to get them... I can buy the shingle on sale at nards and save a couple bucks a bundle that way

So you are thinking about a lull style machined and a flat bed to haul it around? If so do you have a F550 or bigger to haul it? Seen guys haul lifts with one ton duallys and fifth wheels but really doubt it's legal.

My roofing materials are purchased through a lumber yard in Farmington (Dakota County Lumber Co) and they offer great prices, excellent service, and often get me very good roofing leads from walk in or call in customers.

Have used the big box stores to buy shingles for really cheap customers in the past and always have regrets.

I found a machine light enough to pull behind the truck... not much heavier than a large skiddy... So, we'll be good to go... I have been one of those tugging a load that may not pass the scales time to time... and it can get hairy... so this was a big factor in choosing the machine set up I did for myself because I will need to be able to move the machine and attachments safely and legally, from jobsite to jobsite weekly or bi weekly...

How high does the machine reach?

With a machine with a footprint like a skid steer you have to be really carefull on blacktop driveways in the Summer time.

I hate skid steers on my sites. Every time a home owner lets us use one something breaks! Last Fall had a customer let us use his small kabota style front end loader and it worked very well. 70sq 12/12, you could load about 1.5-2sq of shingle debris in the bucket and with the sides off could dump it right into the dump trailer.

I know there real spendy but have you looked at the roofers buggy/equiptor?

Its a Terex 6622 1w300h255_terex-tx6622-1377788-2.jpg

6600 lb lift, with 22 foot boom, and got me the aux hydraulics for running an auger for the post frames. It weighs in at 13,000lbs. So, pretty good sized machine actually, a lot more foot print than a skidder, but like I said, large skiddys are over 12,000 these days...

We have a Deere 2305 landscape tractor... works well as a wheel barrow where needed smile 90 percent of the time we go directly from the roof to the trailer, and whatever hits the tarps is quickly and easily drug over to the trailer and dumped out...

The machines main purpose is for post frame buildings, and framing etc... but will be used for whatever it can be.... thats what ya buy them for...

Skiddys are rough on things because of the they steer... It tears things up way to much!