• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling Motor Battery Connection

amateurfishing

Got my new (used) troller last weekend but this is how wiring to battery is, where or what battery connectors do i need to hook up to battery. i got these blue/yellow ones at hardware store but one is too small for battery and other is too big for wires.full-37274-31448-img_54021.jpg

full-37274-31449-img_54031.jpg

Hardware store = cheap route

Auto parts store = better route

Marine shop = best route

You can get connectors made specifically for that gauge wire at the auto parts store, but it won't necessarily be marine-grade. All that means is that it may not block out the moisture as well so your connection can corrode quicker. Most marine shops will sell marine-grade battery connectors for trolling motors.

my apologies, that is a foreign language to me

Sorry about that. Check the wire insulation. Maybe it's imprinted on the wire. Look for a number followed by AWG such as 8awg.

found correct size connectors this afternoon & will cover with rubber shrink sleeve....thx for the help all

If its the crimp-on style, be sure to crimp it good and tight using the right tool. If possible, consider soldering it too. Crimp-on connectors are not known for keeping the tightest connections. Things shift and move and after a while the connections aren't as stable. Just a thought.

If you crimp it right that is the best. Solder can cause problems with vibration.

I would expect just the opposite. We've seen too many problems with crimp-on connectors in our machinery. So much so, we no longer allow them to be used unless they are soldered.

I use those big yellow connectors. I found that a hammer and a few buddy whackits on a concrete block will do the trick to crimp em down good. I like the shrink tubes with the glue ifn' you can find em.

I did some more reading on the topic. The big issue with solder is that it wicks up the wire and where it stops becomes like a hinge for vibration which can cause wires to fatigue and break.

On the other hand, crimping has to be done right, with the correct kind of tool or the joint will come apart eventually. Apparently those things that look like pliers are not necessarily the right tool. The good crimping tools are pretty expensive.

For a trolling motor, vibration probably isn't such a good deal and the likelihood of having an adequate crimping tool isn't too high, so upon considering the evidence and testimony I would agree that soldering is probably your best bet.

thx for all the additional info everyone

i already tested my connectors b4 actually "crimping" them on so when it is time to install permanently i will use pliers or something, then heat shrink, & follow that up with generous amount of elecrical tape. i think/hope that should be overbearing enough for a couple dozen times a year trolling motor use. i have no knowledge of soldering so will have to completely skip that.

You don't want the motor wired directly to the battery.

The circuit boards on those are finicky and you don't want voltage to them all the time.

Yes could could remove one cable from the battery but that can be a hassle. I believe there is a small drain while connected as well.

Go this route and unplug when your done for the day.

full-831-31584-trollingmotorplug.jpg

They use butt connectors and should come with the set. Use shrink tube on the connections.

Mount a circuit breaker on the + terminal of the battery.

This model is cheap auto reset and for a couple bucks more you get the protective cover.

I like the manual reset myself because less chance of something weird happening when you think there isn't power. Choose from 30/40/50/60 amp.

full-831-31585-marinecurcitbreaker.jpg

The first pic is a receptacle and plug for the trolling motor.

The receptacle would get mounted to the boat and the plug to the two wires on trolling motor. That spot would be the dash under the deck that the motor is mounted on.

From the receptacle you'd add a length of wire to the battery.

Use the connector you found and crimp one on the neg wire. The pos wire would be crimped to the red connector shown in the picture with the circuit breaker. The other side of the CB would go the + terminal of the battery. The CB protects the wire from the battery to the trolling motor. Depending on size wire you have on the tolling motor choose a CB with the correct amp.

i know im not mechanically literate but do not understand why this simple easy task seems to be turning into a ridiculous "10 trips to store" issue and cannot find something that solves all problems at once.

first pic is of wire connectors that match the wire on the trolling motor. if i crimp connect them, it should be a done deal to battery connection, right?

2nd pic is of something i picked up this am that i thought would be an end all item, product says good for 8 guage wire but the connectors from first pic connectors that work are 10 guage, also the battery ends closeup as shown in pic show the red wire connector "smaller" than the black one and because of that does not fit on my battery terminal so will this minn kota product not work at all?

do i have to go to another store with a better asst of power cords? can i just use the connectors in first pic and be done with issue? is my motor too old that does not match any products on market today (it only says minn kota co pilot on motor)?

thx for all the help & expertise, maybe im not looking in correct stores

full-37274-31652-img_54901.jpg

full-37274-31653-img_54881.jpg

full-37274-31654-img_54891.jpg