• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hog Hunting In California?

otterman91105

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has been out there to hog hunt. My father in law just bought some land in chico and said there are a ton of pigs on his land. It sounds like it would be fun just wondering if anyone has done it or how hard they are to hunt. Any info would be great thanks.

when i worked out there i looked into it a bit there are a bunch out there talked to a few people in that valley area down toward stockton that tried it sounds like its a ton of fun, being California i would really look into laws out there on what you can use and cant use, i dont think baiting is legal out there, might need copper bullets or something non-toxic also if you use a gun

I actually came on to post the exact same question. I have a friend in the military out there and he wants to try Fort Hunter Liggett. It sounds like it is controlled public access.

Keep us updated on what you find out!

I did a fishing trip in Alaska last year. We brought all our meat back on the plane. I had managed to pack extremely light and put all my checked items into my other friends bags/carryon. From 3 people we brought 5 boxes, at some extra cost, but nothing like shipping meat. We had our meat vacuum sealed and frozen. The boxes were each 45 lbs with a styrofoam liner.

Something else to consider is shipping back clothing for much cheaper than the checked prices and/or the 1-2 day rush order.

I hunted hogs out there many years ago with my wife's Uncle. It wasn't that difficult from the hog standpoint, just a lot of up & down stuff. I'd never done much in mountains before & that's where we hunted them. It was a lot of glassing & trying to cut them off for us. He did put me in a meadow one evening that he knew was a good evening spot. I had a smallish one, maybe 75 pounder dead to rights. It went click when I tried to fire. He'd loaded the rifle for me, it was his, & I didn't realize that he didn't put one in the chamber... Made sense as we rode a ways on wheelers to get there...

I knew what happened immediately & threw a round in the chamber, but he was gone around some trees. I knew there were some pigs feeding close & lower to my left, so swung that way, as they were all spooked & running now. I saw hog hair in the scope as one was disappearing under a cedar & squeezed off a shot. I got him, turned out to be a 25 pound piglet... Oops! Well it wasn't too tough getting him loaded anyway... That was my hog hunt, never got any more in range. It was August I believe when we hunted, so quite hot. It was tiny, but after messing up the one & not getting another pig in range I was happy to have gotten that one.

We were hunting on a pretty large private lease that he was a part of. He's not in that any more.