• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish house siding

Dozer

I would like to get some flat sheet fiberglass like on the newer campers. Anybody know where its avaliable localy? The only place I can find it in Elkhart IN.

Or where is the cheapest place to get .040" Alum sheets?

It may not be rv specific panels but Apex Ultrex is a fiberglass siding that should perform better on a fish house than most other materials given the extremes they face. I know for local wholesalers, MacArthur in Ramsey or Ace in St. Paul(maybe Minneapolis) can get it, and probably the rv specific stuff. Im not sure if they will sell retail though.

Im thinking it would be light and plenty rigid enough if it was spray foamed behind it. I also think it would look really nice with no seams.

What are your thoughts Lip_Ripper? Where did you get your aluminum?

There was a company south of Fargo called Tightline fish houses that used to make houses from FRP panels. I haven't seen them in the last couple of years so I don't know if they are still around. The sides were a one piece fiberglass outside sandwhiched foam and fiberglass on the inside. The corner seams were bonded on diamond plate.

Im thinking it would be light and plenty rigid enough if it was spray foamed behind it. I also think it would look really nice with no seams.

What are your thoughts Lip_Ripper? Where did you get your aluminum?

I looked into Filon/fiberglass, but everything I could find on installation showed it needed plywood under it. I also found issues with it delaminating in cold weather, fading/yellowing, and moisture intrusion. I do like the idea of no seams, but the plywood backing (weight) was a deal breaker for me. And bonding 20' of fiberglass with contact cement sounds like a complete nightmare.

The aluminum is available from any metal supply company. Mine came from Voyager Aluminum in Brandon, MN. They deliver right to your door step for a very good price. In the past I've got some from Garelick Steel and Discount Steel.

My house has aluminum siding and on a couple very small spots it's starting to oxidize straight through the aluminum.

Smooth aluminum looks nice when new but what are the odds of oil canning? Is .040 thick enough to not have this happen?

As far as the interior fiberglass paneling would be a lot easier to clean and wouldn't mark up as easy as a wood product.

Fiberglass panels can be ebtained from a company that makes service bodies for utility company trucks and they also make flat panels which are on my wheelhouse. The company is in Hayfield, Ia and is Hayfield Industries which has a HSOforum to see their products. I believe the panels are 1/8" thick and gel coated.

I called and talked to the owner at Hayfield this morning. Very nice guy, very helpfull! Said they make the sheets right there, the largest they can do is 83"X89". He said they have been so busy building service bodies that they havent even built any fish houses this winter, but if I wanted sheeting he could make some sheets made but it might be a couple months. Its approx 1/8" thick and he said its very storng, no need for sheeting behind it. We wasnt 100% sure on a price but thought somewere around $110 to $120 a sheet in white, colors "substantialy" higher.

Doesnt seem like there is much cost savings vs Alum sheeting, there will still be seams and I really dont want white so looks like thats not going to work.

That actually isn't all that bad of a price. It is around $80 for a 48"x96" piece of aluminum, so this would be a little less.

Any idea on the weight?

I think the product you are looking for with no seams is Filon. It is available from RV supply shops. RV Surplus Dot Net is a good place to start.

I forgot to ask on the weight. Not really sure how much more the colored sheets would be but I dont want white. Between price and the fact there will still be seams im going to look for other options.

Is that the best price you found on Alum Lip_Ripper?

Anybody know where I can get corrugated siding like they use on Ice Castles?

Try a search for Road King Outdoors or I'm quite sure you can buy it

directly from Ice Castle, they sell all sorts of other fish house stuff.

Do you have fiberglass on your house cold one sd? What do you think of it? Did you put any plywood sheeting behind it?
Actually I bought one of the houses that Hayfield makes about seven years ago and it still looks like new. The inside is finished with FRP paneling so it is white inside and out. The only thing I have done to it is have the front hitch converted to a drop hitch.