• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brule River conditions

Any reports or updates on river level, or clarity? Seems a little quite around here. I'm currently waiting on some new gear as some of my things were stolen a few years back and now I'm itching to get out again, so hopefully Thursday for me.

According to the USGS, it's flowing at 138 cubic feet per second. The rain on Saturday gave the river a bit of color, but unsure how much it's cleared since with run-off. (?) Flow has not changed significantly since opener on Saturday; according to the USGS web page. Will be heading back down Friday for the weekend. Here are a few fish from the opener; the steelhead was a football about 20".

full-24609-31711-steel.jpg

full-24609-31712-brown.jpg

There's high and then there's flooding. The flow rate is about double what is normal, and the height is about double. The upper river, with its tight banks and mud is difficult enough to fish in normal conditions. Trying to wade it and fight the brush in these conditions is a fool's errand and unsafe. Give it a week or so and things should calm down.