• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I know that they can be stubborn, but I'm still interested in one. Any help in locating any pups or breeders. Would like to use one for duck hunting. And eating the neighbors cats. Just kidding on that

GunDr,

Caution Chessie's are not for everyone!!!!! They are a very special breed that should be highly researched before buying. They are a higly mis understood breed. They are extremely intelligent, Highly sensitive,and excellent gun dogs. They are not like a Lab.
Labs are the hunting breed of choice because of their Happy go lucky approach to family and to hunting. they are the perfect breed for most people. If you however want an intensley loyal, exceptional hunter, of which will never quit. Then you should consider a Chessie. CBR's do not respond to "heavey handed" training methods. they are extremely sesitive to their masters emotions. They sense happiness, sadness, disappointment, you name it. they are like no other dog I've ever had. Please do your research to be sure this dog is right for you and your family. Send me your email and I will be happy to share more ith you and some competant breeders.

Yes I understand the loyalty part. I believe I've read that that was what the dog was bred for, during the market hunting days of old. I've got a couple of friends out of state that have had and still have chessies.
I believe by being self-employed, I will be able to be with the dog more hours per day, by bringing him/her to work with me. I live alone, but have a girlfriend I see daily and also hunts with me. The two should bond very well. I would hope the dog would be part watch dog also. The chessys I've run into ARE somewhat intiminating when first meeting, but turned to be quite friendly. Ilike the idea of a dog that thinks he's tough. My friend in Canada has one, kills and eats his own beavers. That may be a litle extreme, but it does impress me.
If you guys have a little more info, here's my email: [email protected]
Thanks again,
Doug

I currently have one, and he is my first. Ill never waste my time with a lab again. Best thing I ever did. Trade the lab in for a Real Hunting Dog! As they stated above, do research, on the breed, then on the breeders. Never quit is an under statement. Every time we are in the garage he looks up at his dummies, then at me like Lets Go. He wants to work all the time, no matter what the weather is like. Very good with my kids, and in the house. Mine is just over 2, and I still have work to do with him. He really loves to phesant hunt, and does a good job. He is part of my family and we love him. Check out NorthernFlightRetrievers.com or Lakeshorekennels.com or Retrieversetc.com Just some ideas. Im sure there are more that breed quality dogs, but those came to mind first.

It's interesting to hear that they don't respond to heavy handed training. I was always told you need a 2x4 to train them.

I have images of a CBR busting through quarter inch ice to make a retrieve, which would be nice this time of year.

I personally will get a lab as my first dog, but I would like to try a CBR at some point in my hunting career.

i would second the nod for mr.sorenson. i have a dam from his female. the sire is the first chesapeake dual champ in the u.s.
we just had a litter of pups with her. her first. they are good looking little buggers. anyone looking?

------------------
keep your 9 iron on the ice!! jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

I HAVE A CHESSY & SHE IS GREAT, BUT CAN BE VERY STUBBORN. SOMETIMES U THINK SHE IS STUPID BUR SHE JUST SEE'S WHAT SHE CAN GET AWAY WITH. I LIKE HER BECAUSE SHE IS SO STRONG HEARTED & TOUGH SHE GETS HER SELF OUT OF ABOUT ANYTHING.

Jigglestick,
I would be interested in a pup. I'm not sure if I would like a female or male. Maybe you could help me out. I've had goldens in the past, male and female, and both were very passive and long-lived. My male went to 18yrs. and my female to 15years. They were always outside dogs. The male was detected with heart worm early in his life, when it wasn't quite heard of. Recovered remarkably well.
I'm not looking at breeding so that wouldn't be an issue. Also would it be wise to have either one nueterd(?). I want either to be my best friend and not get a hard-on for the neighbors dog. I do use my paintball gun for the strays that do come into my yard.
Lastly, I'm not looking to pay thousands for a finished dog. I have no idea what CBR's are worth, but as long as they are healthy, I'm happy. I had the dew claws remove from the golden pups that I eventually had, right away. Would this need to be done. I've heard it's recommended for a hunting breed.
My email is [email protected]
I live in Backus,MN. I've started a custom gunsmith shop, working with the target shotgun community. Business should be up and running by Jan.
Thanks for any info you can help with.
Doug Braker

I have a coming 4yr old dam and she is great. I agree, very responsive to your moods. good dogs and lots of drive. If you are going to have "dual costody", with the girlfriend I would suggest you both go to a puppy class and have her do the in class work. the dog will respond much better that way in the field if she helps lay the ground work for obedience. My first retriever after using my Vizsla's for the last 17 years. I got my cbr from a guy in Le Suer.(sp?) She broke ice last year and has performed very well. do not push them too far to fast as you do NOT want to have to go back and try and re-learn things. I have some people that may bhe having pups. Not totally sure but I can check. Not too expoensive, depending on what you want it to do. I did some early training and then sent her to a friend for school for three months in the summer. Best thing ever. the dog got stubborn with him and still responds to me with no animosity. Protective is their nature. Mine pulled a deer carcass from the garage this fall because a coon had gotten in to the bag at 3am before garbage day. My wife was not happy with the present coming in the house but we understand she was "saving " it from the coon. More info if you want it [email protected] Good luck.