• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Information And Advice On A Wyoming Deer Hunt

TMF89

Well it's official! I just put in my application for a buck and doe tag for this fall in Wyoming. I have an uncle with a cabin in the Bighorns who offered to take me along for a few days of hunting, I can't wait!

I've hunted deer for a few years up here, but all you need for that is warm clothing and plenty of orange. My uncle said it'll be mostly calling, but I still want to get much better clothing and gear, in case we do any extended stalking. I don't have any experience with buying hunting apparel/footwear, besides knowing the general camo patterns like Max 4 and Realtree AP. So I'm looking for any advice you guys have on specific camo patterns for The Rockies/Bighorns, as well as on brands. I'd like to get a nice outfit of Scent-Lok or Scent Blocker, I don't mind spending money on a quality product. Ditto for footwear, what brands/models/features do you guys find most useful in a hunting boot? Specifically one that might get quite a bit of miles put on it.

Other than that, any experiences/information/advice you guys can share on big game hunting in the mountains, specifically Wyoming or The Bighorns or Rockies, I'd sure appreciate it! Thanks guys.

Bighorns nice country. Get the WY regs to find out about clothing....orange etc. Worry less about "scent blocker" stuff and more about a pair of premium boots. Uncle probably already has some good glasses so don't spend money on those. Going to be using horses? Got extra gloves? Get out on the range this summer and do a lot of 200-300 yard shooting...just in case.

Make a list of questions, call your uncle and learn more details about the when and where.

Lots of big beautiful country out there. You're gonna love it.

I wouldn't spend a dime on scent elimination clothing. Get quality outer wear that you can layer and is waterproof and windproof. Rifle hunting I would not worry about the camp pattern but lighter is almost always better. Bow hunting again lighter is better. Get an orange vest that you can wear with any layer. Boots are more of a personal preference but I like Irish setters and danners.

My pack or layers for cold weather usually contains UA base layer hot or cold gear, Russel mid layer 1/4 zip, wind proof vest, zippered or pull over fleece jacket/shirt and light weight goretex jacket and pants.

For true cold weather add wool pants and alter jacket size. Fleece stocking cap, face mask and gloves are always with too.

You are in for a treat!! I hunted mulies in for the first time ever in Montana last year. We were north of the Bighorns. I can't even put into words how much fun it was! The guys I was with said it was the worst hunting they'd had in over 20 years out there due to the drought and some fires, but to me it was a great change after sitting in a stand for 7 days in MN and seeing 2 deer.

The very first thing I would worry about is boots. Don't skimp on these as you will be doing a lot of walking in some rugged country. I thought I had good boots but my feet and knees were shot by the end of the trip. Try on a bunch and buy them plenty early to break them in good. I just bought a pair of Mendl Denalis from Cabelas and am working on breaking them in for an elk hunt this fall. They seem great so far.

Don't worry about camo pattern or scent blocker. It's more important to have multiple layers. You will walk to the top of a mountain and be sweating your butt off. Then you will sit on the top in 30 mph winds glassing and freeze. Get some good, light clothing that works well together. I've switched to wool base layers and love it. When I was out there it went from 70, calm, and sunny one day to a high of 16 degrees with 30-40 mph winds the next.

Also make sure to get a good pack. You will be wearing it all day and everything will hurt if it doesn't fit you right. You will likely be packing your deer back in it as well.

My last suggestion is to have a spotting scope with. This will save you many miles of walking. Use binocs to find the deer and a scope to decide if you want to go after him.

I'm jealous! Good luck and have fun!!

Hunting in the mountains is quite a bit different than MN. Learn how the wind works differently there, and don't get hung up on gimmick scent blocking clothes or fancy camo patterns. It won't matter what you are wearing if you try to sneak up on a down-wind deer after sweating your butt off hiking around the mountains.

You don't need super expensive boots, but make sure you get good boots that fit you right and that you can walk a long ways in. Also figure out a good type of sock to go with the boots, I like to wear a thin polypro liner sock with a wool outer sock.

Figure out what goes in your pack before you go. Extra socks and dry base layer clothes in case you get wet. Emergency gear, food, water, spare compass and maps, etc. etc.

Oh, and don't forget a good camera.

Have fun. smile

Wow guys, thanks for the info! Alright I'll look at other options than scent blocker (although I work for a dealer so I can get 50% off the stuff, so it might actually be cheaper to just buy it lol).

I'm spending plenty of time getting in shape on the treadmill these days, and I'll continue to do so for the rest of the year. I plan actually packing all my gear and "hiking" a few miles around my house just to see how it goes. I run really hot, and sweat easy, but also have low blood circulation in my extremeties, so anything active is always a PITA to prep for lol.

Are there any quality outerlayers that can be packed? I'm thinking I could do long underwear/baselayer, a first outerlayer that I hike in in, and a second heavier duty one that I put on if/when we stop to call. That way I won't get all sweaty but I'll still have the insulation for staying warm during the stationary periods. Does anyone have an experience with what I'm talking about? Thanks again guys!

Ask him what to expect for temps too. I know one of the trips we made it was cold & snow. Another trip we made it was beautiful & tennis shoes were the best for hunting in as they were so much lighter than our boots. We hunted in T shirts & walked anywhere from 3-8 miles a day. That was primarily elk hunting. The cold trip was muleys, going again this October. They got 18" two days before we got there, it was all gone about our 5th day...