• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hi Guys,

I would love to go to Pierre this spring with the boat; I have never fished that area of the river before. I was just out there on Friday for business and seen that there were several boats up near the dam. My question is where is the best boat ramp?

Is there a map or something where I can find the various boat ramps in the area?

What Hotels could someone recommend that has good boat parking/security?

When does the state park open for camping?

Been going out there in april for the last ten years. There are numerous landings between Pierre and Ft Pierre. There is two in Ft. Pierre one on the Bad River and the city landing about a quarter mile north of there. In Pierre there is one at Downs marina in the causeway. Then there is one at Oahe marina just below the dam. There may be more but those are the ones I have used, just depends on where you want to fish. As far as motels it depends on what you want to spend, there is alot of them and I think they are all fairly safe. I stayed at the Oahe marina the first few years and they have cabins and a campground. My brother ahs stayed at Ft Pierre hotel and they were very accommodating. A good friend of mine moved there a few years back so I stay with him now. Great fishing and a good time. Looking forward to this years trip. Good luck, You'll have a great time.

When are you thinking going out? We'll be there April 24-28th. Another place to try if you don't mind the drive is west bend. It's about 35 miles south of Pierre. Last year, one day down there, we boated between 130-150 walleyes and at least 50 smallies between the three of us. At times the fishing is fantastic down there but it can also get pretty rough if it blows hard.

We go out to Pierre twice a year and usually stay at Governor's Inn. Convenient parking in back where you can keep the boat hooked up to your tow vehicle and power on poles to plug in your onboard chargers!!

Ramps: We usually use the Bad River ramp. Nice cleaning station there as well. We have also put in further north by the dam as well.

Fished West Bend on fri. and it was great. Boated over 50 walleyes,not one under 15inches. Modified our own slot and didn't keep a fish under 17. Limited out in about 4 hours. 84 degrees and dead calm,beautiful day.

Looking to head out with a few buddies for our June trip. As usual we like to do everything on the cheap, anyone have any suggestions as far as camping goes? We usually like to find a remote camping spot if possible. Thinking the Pierre area but open to any ideas. Any general fishing tips would be appreciated also. I usually fish jigs and lindys what's the preferred presentations out there? Thanks

Do a web search for Pierre South Dakota campgrounds. That will give you 6-8 campgrounds. Most places are from $10-$20 a night I believe. And as far as fishing, that time of year you can use anything you would around here. Jigs, Lindy rigs, Spinner rigs, Cranks.