• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

eagle claw in line ice reel

theresa

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...eel#Post3006312

I ordered one from the link that was posted here. Went to order another one 3 days after, and they were out. You will really have to dig to find one at this point. Good news is, with that kind of demand, they'll surely be making more. Other companies will likely be onboard with improved versions of this reel next year.

I have one and I like it. I don't like it as much as my BB 6061 for the simple fact that I can't pencil grip it as easy because it doesn't drop down from the rod as far. However, for 1/3 of the price and about half of the weight you cant go wrong. It's a decent reel, and if there still 30 bucks next year I will surely be getting another.

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but I was wondering if you guys use these reels for species beyond panfish? This year was the first year I went out every weekend targeting panfish so I hadn't really looked much into the inline reels, but from what I know they are primarily for icing more panfish? I plan to add one or more to my arsenal next year.

I would agree with what's been posted. The 2.4:1 gear ratio is nice, but the drop down like the Black Betty would be sweet since I'm a pencil gripper too. The drag is decent but I sometimes bump it up and down, but if I ever leave it too loose I can always palm the reel.

I got lucky as heck to find one for sale in the clearance aisle at a Gander Mountain in late December, I haven't seen one since, the clearance combo had a broken rod but the reel was just fine. I would probably buy a second for another rod next year; I used a fly reel in the past and it's nice not to have to move them between rods. I could get the Black Bettys but the price is a little steep to get the features I want (6061)

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but I was wondering if you guys use these reels for species beyond panfish? This year was the first year I went out every weekend targeting panfish so I hadn't really looked much into the inline reels, but from what I know they are primarily for icing more panfish? I plan to add one or more to my arsenal next year.

I too am a big fan of the eagle claw inline reels, BUT mine will be dedicated to panfish and perch fishing. The drag system for me is not gonna work for targeting big fish. For those of you who are used to running the drag on baitcasters it might work fine, but I am just too used to the spinning reel design to run the drag very effectively. I run light line so I have the drag set pretty loose and if I back it off a little too much it gets to the end of the threading and is completely loose. Even having it set to where I though it was pretty darn loose I got busted off by a decent sized rainbow that took a run right at the hole. I just feel that I am not good enough to run that drag on a big fish without fear of losing the fish. If I'm fishing perch and walleye I probablly won't be using it unless I figure out what I am doing wrong and feel more comfortable with it. Having said that, I really do enjoy using it when I'm chasing perch and panfish exclusively. It does help with line twist and the free spool works very well as long as your line doesn't get iced up real bad.

MG: The primary reason is line twist. Before fly reels became cool, you could get the same effect using a two dollar Schooley's 1:1 plastic reel. Still can. You don't want to be fooling with a Schooley's, fly reel, or inline for anything other than panfish in my opinion, those are fish that aren't staring down baits and abhoring the spinning of jigs. Those are fish that need a good drag with good line pick up. Straight line combos are not the best tool for that job. Nor do you want to use a straight line combo with a 1:1 gear ratio in deep water. It just takes forever to reel a fish up and you risk losing it. My two cents.

Thanks for the info guys!

Basically I just knew they reduced line twist so your jigs aren't spinning and have only seen them used for gills. Just wanted to hear from people that have fished with them.

I'll hand this thread back to theresa now wink

I dont use the EC but do run the 6061's and use them for everything, they are my go to reels in water over 12', shallow water less than 12' my go to is a Okuma SLV, target species in winter are gills, perch walleye and crappie... But have landed several bass and pike in the 3-5 pound range easily on my 6061's

I scored one of these while I was going for pannies in Iowa. Sadly, it was the only rod I ever used thus far for pannies. I change up the rod to one of a bit more quality and to my liking but reel wise, it's pretty smooth and overall just great. I've heard they were pretty much bought on wholesale this year and not really introduced onto the market. Far as I'm concerned, it would be a loss to the company if these things weren't stocked on the shelves next year. Considering those auction sites were selling them for hundreds and getting rid of them, i'm pretty sure this won't be the last we see of them. It helped me in landing an 11" gill this year, can't beat it with a stick!!

I have basically fished most of the "new" various inline reels all year, and never even fished for panfish yet. Caught a ton a big fish, and a ton of big fish deep using them. Yes, there was a learning curve at first with a lot of line wraps on everything but the spool, but now am comfortable with any depth or species. I often like to undersize my presentation and was able to fish them deeper more effectively than in the past. Yep, the EC's drag is a little weak, as I also like to fish a really loose drag; yes, did lose some fish because of it, but spent 15 bucks on them and for the money, have no complaints. Do not think these will just be a gimmick, and suspect we will see improvements in performance in the future. Suppose the 13 is vastly superior, but not willing to spend the hundo.....yet.

Suppose the 13 is vastly superior, but not willing to spend the hundo.....yet.

Yeah, exactly, I wanted to try something to see if I even like that style of reel. I hope 13 can reduce the manufacturing costs.

I stopped at GM in lakeville today to get some bait on my way fishing and just to see what they had left. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw an eagle inline reel. Didn't think twice before grabbing that, it was on an eagle combo though and the rod it was on isn't a treasure but I didn't care what the rod was lol. I was talking to the employee while getting bait and he said they found it in the back and had just put it out. I bought some line for it and got fishin' with it right away today and had the chance to break it in on many gills, I was sold the moment I set the hook on the first one. (This was my first inline)

Any rumors on when the next batch will be put on shelves? I tried a buddies 6061 with a st. croix legend rod on it yesterday for crappies (very nice). but I can't justify paying $100 for the reel. If they make something just like it for $30, I want it!

This is kinda amusing. I had 5 EC inline reels and my cousin had 5 also. We bought them at two different Gander locations on the first day or week they were put out. I also have 2 Black Betty 6061 as well as my cuz too. This was before I had made the post on here about them in the Ice Fishing sub forum back in Nov-Dec.

These inline reel do the job well if you use them for what their intended for. They do have some minor flaws. The drag is not great but good enough to land a big fish if needed. And the reel isnt well balanced either. Some people have trouble reeling and getting the lines tangled in. I use these reels mostly in 20'-30' depths. Rarely shallow which im sure they will do fine also too.

I have since sold most of my EC inline reels for the same price I bought them for, in part I actually had difficulty selling them? Kept one EC inline and 1 BB 6061 and sold all the rest. Think my cuz still has two BB 6061 barely used this ice season but he sold all his EC inline reels too.

I think the reason for me selling mines were that I feel the product will only be improved upon the following year after. At the ice fishing show in St Paul River center this past Dec I tried to talk to some of the Eagle Claw reps about improvements for the reel but had a hard time of them just giving me attention? Seemed like I knew more about their new reel then themselves. Funny at one time I had played with the mechanical parts of the EC inline reel at the booth while Tony Roach was there, I wanted to see what his opinion was but didnt really ask him so I kinda gave him the stare and he just kinda stare back momentarily. So I just kinda smiled and didnt say anything figuring he wouldnt know any more then I would at the time.

Yesterday I had the fun of hooking up with a nice LM and a PIKE. It was a real pleasure to use the reel with bigger fish. The drag was super to work with. Looking foward to my big fish hookup.

I have one and I like it. I don't like it as much as my BB 6061 for the simple fact that I can't pencil grip it as easy because it doesn't drop down from the rod as far.

I recently got to put one of these in my hand and I didn't like it immediately strictly because of the pencil grip issue.

If they drop it down from the rod further on the next version I may pick one up.