• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MT App deadline 3/15. Who's going?

Just a reminder to everyone who is hunting Montana that the application deadline is March 15th for nonresident licenses and special permit draws. Looking forward to finally getting my dad out to MT to chase elk with me this year. Who will be making the trip out to big sky country this fall and where you going to be heading?! If anyone has questions about areas or the application process feel free to post them up here and I can help as much as I am able. Looking forward to another great season!

i quit applying early since they jacked the prices on the license. you can buy the elk or general combo tags over the counter well into season. montana has not sold out on those tags since the price increase. garanteed tag.

I put in for the general deer/elk combo with a special elk draw for the Breaks. My main interest is mule deer. I hunt the area mainly around Miles City, but have hunted lots around Jordan also. I have hunted elk in the SW and NW corners before also. I personally like the higher tag prices as it makes it easier for me get my tags! The hunt is still very reasonable when you DIY. Lots of good access to hunting areas for non residents and the higher tag fees help create alot of that access with block management.

Well I wish you luck on drawing that permit! I definitely want to bow hunt the breaks in the future but have not hunted the eastern part of the state since I moved here. I have heard the breaks hunt is tough due to high hunter densities, but the chance at a bruiser bull is pretty appealing. One day I will get out there. You are spot on about the license fees going to securing land access. Not only are those dollars used to fund block management, but are also used to purchase more accessible land. It is unfortunate that the nonresident foots the bill for that, but like you said the prices arent unreasonable when compared to other western states. My big problem is the 80% refund you get if you dont draw the permit you want and choose not to keep a general license. You end up paying around $170 for an elk bonus point in the end. To me that is just not right and needs to be changed in the future. That is something that may force me to look to other states in the future when I no longer have MT residency, unless it is changed.

I agree that is very expensive just to get a bonus point. There are other states that the bonus point is very reasonable, but I am sure that many others just get bonus points there for that same reason. You really need to study the odds and fees to figure out where you can get the best deal, quality tag, with the best odds of drawing. The other thing I really like about MT is the generous season and being able to hunt during the rut.

In case anyone is waiting anxiously and wondering why the results aren't out yet, I figured I'd chime in and let you know FWP posted a news release that the draw results would not be posted until the week of the 22nd. Oh the agony!!!

Well I am stoked to say the least! I drew my elk permit and my dad drew a permit as a nonresident with 0 bonus points. Finally gets to come chase elk with me. Countdown to september 7th begins....135 days!

I will be trying to draw a archery Antelope tag and have a full camp at Powder river outfitters with Donbo and about a dozen others. If I don't draw that tag I will move my vacation dates back and head west farther into the bitteroot valley and chase elk with the bow in Hamilton with my best friend.

Did not draw my big game combo, how depressing

This really surprises me. I had heard from someone that they had undersold the combo licenses again this year. Apparently that isn't true? Or are you saying you didn't draw a special permit?

I will be trying to draw a archery Antelope tag and have a full camp at Powder river outfitters with Donbo and about a dozen others. If I don't draw that tag I will move my vacation dates back and head west farther into the bitteroot valley and chase elk with the bow in Hamilton with my best friend.

Either one sounds like a heck of a good time to me! The bull in my picture came from the Bitterroot. I do a bunch of hunting down the root since it's such an easy drive for me from Missoula. Best of luck in the antelope draw.

Called this morning to verify and was given good news. Online it showed my status as usuccessful on the big game combo license and unsuccessful on my special elk. What it did not show was that I was succesful on my deer tag. I put in to only get a deer tag if unsuccessful on my special elk. Evudently the online status does not reflect that. Very pleased this morning.

I do a bunch of hunting down the root since it's such an easy drive for me from Missoula.

I might have to look you up next time I get over there. I'm sure you have crossed paths with my buddy then. He runs though hills and valleys from Hamilton to Darby non stop.

I won't be around next time your out this way. Graduating in a couple weeks and heading back to MN where I took a job. Sure am gonna miss Montana.