• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SD duck reports?

The first week or so was unreal around Brookings/Lake Preston area. Limits no problem on anything you wanted to shoot. It has been slow the last week or two due to locals moving out. Local geese around yet to be shot. I am expecting some birds to be moving in because central minnesota got a big flight over the weekend of northern birds. Things are only going to get better, however we do need a weather change for once.

walleye wacker,
thanks for the report! i saw a weather report for next week showing cold with possible snow for late next week. hopefully we can hit it just right for the weekend.
keep me posted on how you do. last year we hunted around preston and did well. this year we'll be a little north of that. i'm not sure of the exact location. my niece's boyfriend will be "guiding" us. when i find the location, i'll let you know, maybe we could hook up for a hunt or two? again, thanks.
myzee

Was out on whitewood slough yesterday morning. Plenty of ducks to be had but none even glanced toward shore. Some good sized rafts of mostly mallards. The number of geese out there was amazing. Field hunted that night and ended up with three woodies and two geese. Are you hunting public or private land north of preston? I go to SDSU and hunt all over that area. Might be able to hook up some time during the week if that works for you because I go home every weekend to work.

we're gonna be hitting Brookings about 9 pm thurs. we're planning on hunting private land fri. morning. it's a spot that holds tons of ducks... unfortunately mostly spoonbills. the guys that were "guiding" us both have to work fri., so we decided to hit that spot again untill we could do a little more scouting. that slough is only about 10 miles from preston.
my niece lives in brookings...where we'll be staying.i'll check back on this post on her computer on thurs.

p.s. got a couple of ?'s.
are you hunting private or public? last year was my 1st year hunting ducks in sd so i'm not all that familiar with the area.
are there some decent public spots for mallards and or geese close (within 30-45 mn)to brookings?
how tough is land access on private?
what's your email?

There is a ton of great public hunting land within that range of brookings. You have the Siani area, 81 sloughs, lake preston/whitewood area. Getting private access has suprisingly not been a problem. Just last night I gained permission to another entire section. Ducks should not be a problem right now but I would stay on smaller water until we get more birds. I was scouting last night and I noticed about 200 more mallards than normal in one of my fields. I think the birds are chompin at the bit to get down here. pietigb03@hotmail

I would just like to second walleyewackers observations. I also go to SDSU and hunt many of the same areas mentioned. Ducks are not hard at all to come by, but they do seem to occur in pockets. A guy has to do some scouting to shoot quality numbers of birds. It almost always pays off to spend more time scoutign than hunting. I haven't been to the duck sloughs for a while, but gonna get out some this weekend if we get some DECENT weather. Other wise it will be all fishing until we have fowl weather.
wp

[This message has been edited by Walleye Pimp (edited 10-23-2003).]

WW
I fish all the local lakes. As of latlely I have only been on Sinai. But Thompson has been giving up quite a few big fish.
These last few days have got my spirit back into the hunting scene, so it might be a while before I wet a line.
wp