• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Does anybody know a good Waterfowl ID guide

We are heading out to ND on Thursday night and our group of four would really like to be able to identify the ducks we are seeing. Last year we saw ducks that none of us had ever seen in our novice central mn duck hunting. Widgegon? Scaups? I don't know. We stuck mainly to shooting mallards and teal, but would like to know what the other birds are and if they are good to shoot and eat, or if they are very near cousins of the coot. Any pics on the web or book suggestions would be appriciated.
Thank you,
Bushwacker

Bushwacker,
If you are heading out that way now I presume you will be hunting primarily puddle ducks. For scaup (AKA bluebills) you will need to head to larger waters, and I really don't think they are migrating in numbers yet at all.

You will basically be shooting at ducks that frequent MN also. If you don't know what species they are by now, don't shoot at them! There will be plenty of opportunities for lots of Mallards and teal out there.

Get to know the Pintail and Canvasback. Those have special regs!