• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

help with SE alaska trip

I'm trying to plan a fishing trip to the SE part of Alaska and would appreciate any input anyone has into the charter/lodges in the area. Anywhere in the SE. I've gone out on a trip in Wrangell years ago, but I don't think the charter is in business anymore, as I can't find him anywhere. Sitka area is good, too. Looking for a good charter/lodge, a higher end one would be fine. It's with my brother and our sons, so there would be 6 of us. We would rather have a smaller operation that caters to our size group. Staying the whole trip on a boat would be great, That's what we did in Wrangell, but a smaller lodge is okay.

Just looking on the net doesn't really help me, anyone can make up a great looking site and charge a lot. Price is a secondary consideration, we don't mind paying more for quality. Mostly saltwater fishing, with side trips available would be nice.

Thanks ahead of time for any experiences/recommendations anyone has to offer.

I fished ketchican last june fishing was ok. They said the kings were there but werent biting.We fished vallnur bay over to POW island.There are lots of small companys.We went with ketchican charter boats inc. When we go back in a couple years we will try a different place possibly.Alaska is to big to see just one place and fish.Our 4 person group did enjoy our boat and captain and house we stayed in.We did bring two boxes of fish home and ate fish there.

Check out a place that is out of Baranof Warm Springs bay....just over the hill from Sitka. Lots of fish, good boats etc. And the bay and springs are a great place to hang out.

Baranof Wilderness Lodge 800-613-6551. They should be able to help. Do not know them personally but am VERY familiar with the area etc.

Been out to Sitka twice in the last four years and Love the place ( so much so that I got married there). First time out we stayed at Dove Island. Great guides, great food, okay owners. The one thing they offered was fly-in trips for steelhead and salmon. My wife loved that part. Got a steelhead in the high 30in. range! Did not stay there last summer as prices are steep and instead opted to stay in town at a BnB. We booked a trip with Action Alaska Charters. It's run by Captain Cody. Great guy and kept us on fish. I have booked with him more than once. We also booked a stream trip for dolly's. We took a boat from the harbor to a stream and got the waders out. Great time with great scenery. That was through Classiccastingak. Tad was our guide and extremely nice and helpfull. Can't wait to go back, just got to finish off the last 50lbs. of fish.

You may want to figure out what fish you wish to catch. I have fished in Alaska quite a bit, but love lings and halibut. If that is what you want check the regs for actual catch limits and slots for sizes you can keep. This varies on the time of year, Sitka is super an beautiful. But I believe it is one but per day and ling cod varies as to the slot sizes and time of year. You will catch some huge lings but may end throwing them back. Nice halibut with our largets being 312 and a lot in the 80-100 range.

decent for king salmon when they bite and excellent silvers later in the season.

A friend who fished with me loves the Baranoff Lodge.

Homer? well, really check out teh charters and where they go. Yes, limits daily are possible on Halibut, but there are a lot of chickens. Ask where the boats fish.

Good luck. alaska is worth it for the scenery.