• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ammunition question

BobT

I was on Winchester's HSOforum looking at various ammunition recommendations for whitetail deer and I would like to understand something. All four of the following cartridges are Super-X Power Point loads. Can someone explain why the 125gr. 30-06 cartridge is not recommended for whitetail? Notice that the velocity and ft-lbs of energy at 100yds for this cartridge is about middle of the road for these four loads.

125gr. 30-06 @ 100 yds: 2780fps, 2145ft-lbs energy (not recommended for whitetail deer)

150gr. 30-06 @ 100yds: 2607fps, 2263ft-lbs energy

130gr. .270 @ 100 yds: 2802fps, 2267ft-lbs energy

100gr. .243 @ 100 yds: 2697fps, 1615ft-lbs energy

I don't understand.

From what I have read and understood is that you match your bullet to your game for the caliber you shooting. With that said my understanding on this and I'm sure it will cause much debate, is that the 125 grain bullet is not designed for big game meaning it doesn't have the impact power a bullet fired from that caliber should have. a 125 grain bullet out of a 30-06 will not do the same thing as a 100 grain out of a .243, but that bullet is heavy or better matched for that caliber and it has a controlled expansion so compared to a 125 grain out of a 30-06 is to light and doesnt have the expansion factors it meeds to do the job properly.

Of course proper shoot placement as with all bullets is key to a clean kill.

I think you might call it a Weight to Power ratio and its about controlled expansion.

I know what you're saying Gordie but as far as I can tell all those rounds I referenced are the same type of bullet. At least they are all identified as "power point" by Winchester and I assume that they are the same type. So basically, as I see it, all things are equal except the diameter and length of the bullet itself. The 125gr 30-06 is .308 diameter and whatever length results in 125gr weight. The 100gr .243 is 30% smaller in diameter and then whatever length works to achieve 100gr. Hitting something with 2145ft-lbs of energy at 2780fps would seem to have more impact that hitting it with 1615ft-lbs at 2697fps.

Bear in mind I have little knowledge of this stuff so I am obviously looking at it from an extremely novice point of view.