• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need an area to hunt in N.E. Nebraska for grandson and me.

Looking for area's or county's to hunt south of Yankton S.D.Will keep private. I am new to this area and want to try hunting there with my 13 and 14 year old grandson's. I am from the s.w. minnesota area and need some pointers and good spots to start to look. What countys and so forth. If you dont want to post on forum you can e-mail me at [email protected] and put nebraska Turkey in the subject and I will get back to you. Thanks -57-

Check the Nebraska Game and Parks HSOforum for listings of public lands. You are close to a bunch in that area. Contacting one of the C.O.'s in that area might get you pointed to private land. In my experience, lots of farmers/landowners are more apt to give permission during turkey season than in any other.

Good luck with your search and your future hunt. You won't be disappointed.

I think the area that I am going to concentrate is on the Nomca? and the Homer area of N.E. Nebraska. I need mngment area's that are good and good town area's to concentrate on. I am going on the 22nd of March and pre scout. I know that GOOD turkey ground is sacred but I AM NOT ASKING for your spots , just good concentration area's of Turkey's to look for.. Thanks (57)

Game and Parks HSOforum has two different public lands maps to check. One shows WMA's and the other shows lands enrolled in programs such as CRP or Open Lands.

Last year was my first time in Nebraska. I received a tip from a friend about a particular WMA to try and the G&P site didn't list it as holding turkeys. I went anyway because he assured me it was worth trying even though he wasn't a turkey hunter. We didn't get to scout this area. All I had was the maps and aerial photos I used to scout online.

There were at least 2 flocks on on the smaller WMA. We had 3 shots opportunities on 3 days and we were archery hunting on new ground. We were in birds every day and when we checked out other public lands in the area we found birds from the road and more in the hills and valleys.

I'm not trying to be a jerk by not sharing areas. I'm just trying to say that I know you will find birds and should have no problems getting into some. You and your grandson will have a blast. Check out those online atlases and you will get lots of info.

Lots of birds in the Homer area. It has a lot of wooded areas, lots of hills, and of course the Missouri River "runs through it". Archery season, like most states (I assume...) has few hunters. Shotgun season has a few more, but I wouldn't call it crowded by any means.

I have said it before on this thread, and others in the past...but there are so many turkeys in this state they have almost become a nuisance species. I have them in my yard and it is a rare day when I go to work that I don't see one, or two, or twenty. I live about 10 miles north of Homer.

Let me know if you need some tips for accomodations, i.e. hotels, places to eat, etc.

I think the area that I am going to concentrate is on the Ponca? and the Homer area of N.E. Nebraska. I need mngment area's that are good and good town area's to concentrate on. I am going on the 22nd of March and pre scout. I know that GOOD turkey ground is sacred but I AM NOT ASKING for your spots , just good concentration area's of Turkey's to look for.. Thanks (57)

Thanks Power stroke. Do you know how to get GPS info for WMA's? Oh, and I wouldnt expect you to give up good spots, just time is the issue for me and the grandkids. School and all!!

ProV, Hey thanks buddy!! Do you have the name's of the nearest mngt area's close to Homer. Like I said to Powerstroke. Dont have alot of time to go with the grandkids with school and sports, piano and choir and this and that! If you can help me being so close I would not be able to say thanks enough and you dont have to share info on here. You can e-mail me and put in headlines Neb. Turkey... ((((([email protected] ))) oh and if when I'm there maybe I can stop and say thanks to ya in person!! (57) 3 other things, you have a good taste in boats, I have a 1800 ProV also. And we are going to bow hunt. Do you have any holiday inn's or IHG franchise stuff around you. I run the maintanance dept for a local one by me.. Thanks again

ProV, Hi. how far are you from Basswood Ridge mngt area? is that a good start or do I go more north or east of there. I want to come there to scout out the area's on the 23rd or so. I only have to hop on hwy 60(4lane) all the way to 75 out of sioux city and I run right in to you. Any thoughts would be helpful!! (57)

I would think that would be a great area to go. It is about ten minutes south of where I live. Lots of hills, trees, valleys, and birds. Not sure if pressure is all that high or not there. I'm thinking it should be good to go. Lots of acres to get you and your grandson your own real estate.

Talked to a few land owners and the birds are still in flock 2 to 3 hundred at the cattle yards. Few inches of snow but starting to melt off. I head out a week from this Friday. Can't wait.

Hey 57,

Bring a couple ultra light rods with and some trout stuff. The lake on the outside of South Sioux City has a great stocked trout fishery. Limit of 7 per day. Lots left from both stockings and would be a good bonus for you two...in addition to your filled turkey tags.