• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4pm rule thru 10/11

Did anyone read the small print on the waterfowl supplemental regs where it stated that we can only hunt until 4pm through October 11?

It has always been the 1st week we have been restricted to hunt sunsets. The DNR also failed to mention that this was new for 2003.

I don't know about you, but I think that's talk.

I also think that it is talk but... I'm pretty sure that it has been that way for a while. I wish that it was one set rule for the whole season. I like my evening hunts more than mornings(I HATE getting up at 4:30 am). I also have limited time before the lakes freeze up so I don't really like the rule too. I just wish that I knew the reason for it, then maybe I wouldn't b*&%^ about it!
><>deadeye

I also believe that you are incorrect. I remember as a kid that MEA weekend was the first weekend for evening hunts. That would be the 3rd weekend of October. Consider it great that the season opened in September, then you don't have to wait until Oct 18th for the evening hunt.

the supposed reason for 4pm is to try and keep the locals around and not having them boogie outta here. I don't bother hunting in the afternoon anymore for the plain fact that it's been my experience that the birds didn't start bombing in to my sloughs until you could barely see anything - thus being after shooting hours.

CD, I think the rule of 4 PM closing until the second Sunday has been in effect for a few years now.

Riverratpete, I agree with you. About the time your watch says sunset, the ducks, especially the woodies come flooding in. Wish they'd let it got til 1/2 after sunset like deer hunting. If its ok to hunt at 1/2 hour before sunrise, why not at sunset too?

I could swear the 4pm rule was only effective for the first full week, not 2 weeks. I plan trips around that rule. I'm going to find an old supplement to see. Anyone have one?

Chuck,
Could've sworn that the after 4 reg fell later in years past, I think I remember it being after the 3rd weekend as well, but it was at least after the second.
Let us know what you find grin.gif

In year's past the 4pm rule was only effective for one full week. I have always hunted the Sunday evening following opener weekend.

I looked back at my records, last year we could legally hunt sunsets after October 5th. I was hunting Marsh Lake (annual trip of 5+ years) 2 evenings in a row on the 10th and 11th. The pheasant opener last year was the 12th. There were many trucks at the launch, and we had hunting competition in the evenings, and incredible hunting those evenings I may add.

Here's a thread I started in the past questioning this rule.

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum53/HTML/000013.html

Last year's opener was September 28. 4pm rule expired after October 5.

This year's season only started one day sooner than last year. That's why I was shocked to see this rule.

I looked in last years reg's, it reads Shooting hours are one-half hour before sunrise {except 12 noon on Sept. 28} to 4 p.m. through Oct. 5 and untill sunset thereafter.

CD, You beat me to it.

[This message has been edited by Tour. Pro 175 (edited 09-30-2003).]

Here's my email reply from the DNR. Please don't tell me I'm incorrect! tongue.gif

"You are right. Last year the 4 p.m. shooting hours were from Sept. 28 - Oct 5th." - Suellen Rau, DNR employee

>>> Chuck N <[email protected]> 09/30/03 09:45AM >>>
To whom it may concern,
I noticed in the waterfowl supplement it states that
"shooting hours are one-half hour before sunrise to 4
p.m. through October 11, and until sunset thereafter."

Is this new for 2003? I always remember the 4 p.m.
rule was effective for the 1st full week of the
season, not 2 weeks. I can't find a previous year's
supplement. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Chuck N

I may be crazy, but I always thought the 4 pm ended when pheasant hunting started. At least that's what I have thought. Then the CO doesn't have to wonder if it was shots at ducks or pheasants.

As far as why it is 4 until then who knows, another pointless law.

They changed the rule a few years ago when people started complaining about it. It used to be about the third weekend in October. They changed it to a week after the opener. Originally the opener this year would have been the 1st week in October but the USFWS allowed the states in the north to open up a week early this year. It looks like the DNR forgot about changing the 4pm rule to coincide with the earlier opener.

More hunting opprotunities lost for hunters in Minn!!!! Do all the other states give up so many 1/2 days??,essentially that is what it is 1/2 days. I had not even looked at this change...that sucks!!!!!!!

I wished duck hunting was allowed from 1/2 hour before sunrise until 12 - 1:00. Shooting until dark is the exception in many places across the nation. Afternoon-evening shooting, roost shooting, moves birds out of the state fast. Plus, how many good evening duck hunts have you really had, a few. In my 20+ year I've only had a few great hunts. You might scratch a few ducks but at what cost?

I don't see a difference if I shot at a bird at 7am or 6pm. That bird is going to get freaked out either way, and fly away!

full force - Ultimately, you are saying that if a bird is shot at at sunrise that bird is more likely to stick around MN than if I shot it later in the day? Why?

I don't see it. That's why this rule stinks IMO. At "sunset" there is still lots of daylight. 1/2 before sunrise it's still too dark to ID birds. All you see is dark flying objects at that time!

I don't know about you, but I like to hit the blind after a long day of work. If I don't see a bird I could care less. It's about being able to get out and enjoy the hunt.

Then go out with a camera and a thermos of coffee. What FF5 says does have some validity. It seems that when a bird lands in MN, before long someones going after it. From habitat and feed loss, to hunting pressure, this state is something else.

Chuck,
on many private sloughs that are maintained by hunting clubs, North Herron lake in particular, have set-up rules which each duck camp abides by. One of these is a rule where boats are not allowed on the lake until sunrise, and I do believe that they cut the hours short too for the express purpose of keeping the birds around.

It has been shown that if boat traffic and activity on the water is cut down, the birds will stay longer.

There's just too many variables to look at here, and no matter what there's no perfect answer. MN has primarily lost habitat and that has contributed to much more duck population loss than hunters going out hunting all day.

Tom, you make a good point too. But don't limit it to duck hunters.

A perfect example is Big Winni, a lake I frequent a lot in the fall. The last year of good duck populations I saw was 1996 or 1997. You would hardly see a boat out there that was not a duck hunter.

Last year (and the within the last 5 or so years) I hunted late October thru late November and I see more walleye fisherman buzzing all over the lake spooking the birds. Rafts of ducks sit in the middle and are spooked away by fisherman with their big boats running all over. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming fisherman one bit. I would probably fish too if I weren't hunting. It's the advances in hunting and fishing is what changes wildlife's behavior.

I believe that weather and habit loss moves ducks out of this state more than anything else.

CD,

Ducks that are flying in the evening are going into the roost for the evening. Providing there is food, waterfowl will stick around, dispite hunting pressure as long as they are not disturbed in the afternoon/evening. Many states have evening bans on hunting.

It's a hot subject but I believe that fall walleye fishing has effected the diver hunting on the big water in recent years. Winni, Leech, were great diver lakes, still are during certain times, but ducks are getting pushed around by walleye fisherman.

Lakes that are motorless during the duck season generally hold more duck, because guys don't motor in and around large rafts of ducks.

The DNR needs to make some basic changes to how duck hunting is managed. No pm hunting, larger limits on honkers during the regular season, and more no motor zones on lakes.

I should just get off this subject, but it's too good of conversation.

In my field experience, I've observed massive migrations in the dark. Hunters or no hunters. I believe ducks like to fly in the dark. Has anyone else noticed this? On a dead calm evening I commonly hear whistling wings in the sky?

When hunting Winni one year in mid-November, I hunted an evening. It was a good hunt with lots of birds. About 15 minutes after sunset while picking up the deks, I saw what looked like the whole lake lifted up and blackened the sky. Incredible sight. I thought the bills were heading to feed and roost.

I returned the next morning in total excitement and there wasn't one duck in sight. They migrated. I returned back the next day even. Nothing. I was the only hunter, and theres no way my shotgun or motor scared these birds that were miles out. The birds decided it was time. I've heard one too many times "should have been here yesterday!" smile.gif

I do notice that lakes that ban motors during the duck season hold more ducks, but also some that don't hold ducks at all. It comes down to habitat.

The law is intended to keep LOCAL ducks from getting driven out. Also Hunter numbers are high the first couple weekends then tend to taper off. Thats why its in effect in the early in the season.
Later on the ducks coming down aren't going to hang around because they are migrating/moving through, here today gone tomorrow. Sure boat traffic kicks ducks up but when theres sloughs or lakes near by they'll pile in there if there is no pressure.

Why ducks migrate? If we know the answer to that question we would all be better off. Calendar, habitat, food, hunting pressure, water, etc, all play a role. Ducks migrate at night I'm sure of that. Should have been here yesterday, I think that's the battle cry of all duck hunters.