• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

guns

robert40a

Well, what kind of gun are we talking about? This can get expensive so bear with me: you will need to shoot different brands of bullets in a desired bullet type and weight. I would strongly encourage Hornady as one of those tested. Then head to the range and take 3 shot groups with your rifle, allowing for time for the barrel to cool between shots. Make sure you aim for the same spot each time ( I have found garage sale price stickers/spots to be perfect) and measure your group after the three shots. You aren't trying to zero your scope at this point but trying to figure out best bullet for your gun.

Yes this can get expensive, but once you have found a nice shooting round, you can zero your rifle and work on making that grouping tighter

I prefer to pick the bullet-powders & primers and then work up the load until I get the best groups with the down range energy I need to achieve my goals...But if you don't reload, consider first what you plan on shooting with the ammo....targets only...small game/varmints...big game...really big game...etc...