• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spinning Wing Decoys

If the slough or lake that you are hunting is completely surrounded by private land, you may use a spinner. If you can access it in any way, through public land, road right of way, river, creek or other type of water, then you may not use them.

Tom-
What designates private from public. Is it the access thing about being able to float in a boat or is it the water drainage? IN other words, if I can get in using a boat, it is public. If I can't get in via boat, it is private. What if there is a culvert that connects a public ditch to a private slough? The water slill comes from the public ditch but you can't navigate it with a boat. This is such a gray area!

Very VERY grey.

I know, that legally, the high water mark usually determines accessability, also, if you can gain access by navigable water it is also legal (a canoe in 1 inch of water would qualify).
HOWEVER....
It will all depend on your local sherrif, since I have seen landowners call in a tresspass complaint on people who, according to the letter of the law, have gained legal access, only to have the sherrif or one of his/her deputies ask that person/s to leave the water.

Like I said...VERY grey.

I have a quick questions about spinning wing decoys. The regs. state that you can not use the spinning wing decoys on "public" waters for the 1st two weeks of the season. Does that mean since I hunt "private" water I can use a spinning wing decoy? I am not just hunting provate property I am hunting a marsh that is owned completely by one owner.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

All water that you can float a boat in is public. Access to the water might be private but the water itself is public. I am not sure that you can use spinners anywhere except in a field or on land someplace. I hunted a private spot last year that was completely private for miles around. The CO told me it was public water becuase a public ditch supplied some of the water to the slough! Just be cautious...the spinners are over rated anyway!