• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ND duck hunting

Just wondering if anyone is going to hunt ducks in ND this year? I have a chance to go this year in zone three. Has anyone been duck hunting in ND from previous years and what should I expect for duck activity. We are planning on hunting public ponds and we are going to be on the East Central part of ND. Should be a great time. KOOBA

Kooba, I've been going out for seven years now. You should have a good time. We really don't see the presure that the residents are complaining about but who knows. If you are going early you will run into a little of everything. If you go later you will see alot of bluebills and mallards. We have had a litle bit of a problem with the geese the past couple of years seem we are to late or to early. have fun and lets us know how you did.

Good Luck Sifty

kooba,

Our group will be going again this year. This will be our fourteenth year, I'm really looking forward to it. We hunt the N. central part of the state. I've also hunted the S.E. You didn't mention when you were going. The early part of the season offers the most ducks and a wide variety of them. You will be amazed by the amount of ducks you will see. The later part of the season is still good, there will be more opportunitys for divers.

Good Hunting!

Tour Pro 75, I noticed you are from LF. So am I. I am heading up to ND MEA weekend Leaving Thursday. I can't remember the town right now but when I do I will post it for ya. Where are you heading this year? KOOBA

I have hunted from Wyndmere over to Lamoure the last 4 yrs with decent success. It can be very spotty at times, but some scouting will usually get you some birds. There is not as much water as other parts of the state, but definitely enought to keep me coming back for more.

Just a heads up in case your a nonresadent North Dakotan.

You can not hunt opening weekend nor MEA weekend.Check out the regulations and their Governors special regulations regaurding the non res and how the resadentes now have us non res shut out of the best weekends to hunt.

Benny

kooba,

I'm sure you checked out the info Chells posted. Don't worry you can still hunt, private land is not affected by this new rule. There is plenty of it out there, I've only been turned down once. The farmers out there are very friendly and most are receptive to out of state hunters. Just treat them and their acerage with respect and you won't have any problum.

As far as hunting Binford, it is located S.E. of the Johnson Lake N.W.R. This is a good area. We hunt up in the York, Leeds area, it's located N.W. of Devils Lake. The closest I've come to hunting the Binford area is in the early spring snow goose hunt. We were down in the Luverne, Pillsbury area hunting ducks a few years back. This area is S.E. 70 miles or so of where you will be. You will have a blast, Enjoy your hunt!

Good Hunting!

matnelso2002,

You said you hunted the La Moure area, have you ever been West to the Jud, Klum area? We were in that area a few years back and had some very good luck. The year we were out there it was very wet, lots of potholes. I'm not sure what it would be like on a dry year like this one.

Good Hunting!

You cannot hunt State Land - PLOTS or State wild life mgmt areas from the 11 -17. This coincides with the pheasant opener. Duck hunters get caught up in this unfortunantly.

You can hunt Federal Waterfowl Production areas.

The water is lower this year and the type 3 wetlands are dry. Some type 4 are muddy around the edges. The deeper wetlands and small lakes are all OK.

This will concentrate the birds quite a bit which will actually make it tougher since the birds will be spooked out of their loafing and resting areas by the comotion on the water.

I suggest if you have questions you visit the Game and Fish HSOforum.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

Kooba , you can do what you want and believe who ever you want.BUT, the law states non residint season starts the weekend after the residint opener which is the 27th of September.
It does appear you can hunt private land durring the phesant opener week, and yes most farmers are very open to waterfowlers.

I recemend you read the law per the link Chells provided , it spells it out there.

Good luck hunting.

Benny