• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Relocating to Bismarck

I have been approached by my employer about re-locating to Bismarck and I am giving it some consideration. I have some questions for some of the locals and people who have been to the area if you don't mind.

I spend a good portion of my spare time walleye fishing lakes and rivers in southern MN as well as bow-hunting deer.

I see the Missouri River has some excellent walleye fishing, but how about lakes in the area, within say a 1 hr drive? Is the fishing decent, or is the river a far better option.

As far as bowhunting deer, I am assuming I would have to hunt public land for at least the first season until I can make some connections locally. What is the overall quality of public land within 1-2 hrs of Bismarck? I do a little upland and waterfowl hunting, but I would much rather spend my fall bow hunting and walleye fishing.

I do plan on making a visit to the area before making any commitments and posing the same questions at a few bait shops and sporting goods stores. I just wanted to see if anyone else has any insight.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

I really loved Bismarck when I lived there. The city has room to grow and doesn't have that crowded run down feeling some do. Of course, you have the river, but there are several lakes to explore. I mainly fished from shore since I didn't have a boat in Bismarck, that is why I wasn't much of a river fisherman. We used to get walleyes out of Sweetbriar west on Interstate 94 (crankbaits in the creek in the spring) and the canal lakes northeast of Bismarck (jigs and plastics under the bridges in the summer and occasionally crankbaits in the canals between lakes). There are some lakes in the area that have alternate species to chase and that can be fun. There are a few trout lakes in reservoirs (small silver spoons) and head up to Sakakawea in the fall for the salmon run (larger spoons and spinners, I never got into snagging). Jumbo perch ice fishing east of Bismarck in the Napoleon area can be unreal (Sweedish pimples tipped with a perch eye). Several lakes take their turns at cranking out 10-14 inch fish. Lots of northern lakes also where you can expect fish five pounds and up (smelt on tipups). As you may be able to tell, I was into fishing more than hunting. I didn't bow hunt and went back to the Cooperstown area for our rifle hunts. If you make the choice to go, you'll enjoy the area and the people. Good luck

Definitely touch base with Scoot.

I would do some looking at real estate as well.. with the oil boom in full swing in Western ND... housing is coming at a premium in Bismarck.. with the "good" houses selling fast, and long waits to build new homes. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but it is something to consider.

Good luck in your decision!

marine_man

Thanks for the advice guys! I will be sending a PM to Scoot as well.

I am well aware of the housing situation in the area. It doesn't seem as bad in the Bismarck area as it is farther west and NW. But rental rates are still quite a bit higher than around home. I plan on renting an apartment to start out with and buying or building a house if I decide to make this a long term move.

I think I would really like the hunting and fishing opportunties in the area, although I won't be able to do much during the week. A lot of my time would be spent visiting job sites and attending construction meetings in the West and Northwest part of the state.

You'll pay about as much for a 2 bedroom apartment as you would for a mortgage for a $150,000 house right now, so that might be something to ponder. Granted you won't get a ton of house for 150k but even if you decide to leave in a year or two you'd almost certainly make a profit on the house with the way the market is going.

I moved to Bismarck 5 years ago from eastern ND. The river has had incredible walleye fishing, although it does not seem to be in the best shape right now with the lack of forage fish - time will tell. Because of that, I've never explored the surrounding lakes a ton because, well, why would you when you have fishing like that 10 minutes from home? Lake Sakakawea is on the upturn and is only an hour away, Lake Audobon is pretty good at the same distance. There are lots of little dams and sloughs 50-90 miles east and southeast of town that have good perch, northern, and some walleye. I don't ice fish much but those who explore out there and work at it seem to find good honeyholes. I also don't bow hunt but there is a lot of public land just south of Bismarck with woods along the river. I think it gets hunted fairly hard but I'm sure you could find somewhere to hunt there. From what I gather most of the private land along the river is almost impossible to get on but I think if you worked a bit and maybe got away from the river a bit you could find a landowner who is willing. I'm a birdhunter and there's not a much better place to be for that.

Well I accepted the offer over the past week and I will be moving up on March 11. I have already made a couple solid connections for land access this fall.

When does the river generally open up through the Bismarck area? From what I have gathered, it's open year round by the dam, but locks up farther down stream. Already looking forward to getting the boat out.

I had the boat out in town the first week of March last year, but last year was one of the mildest winters ever. Around April 1 probably in a normal year. March can vary so much here, it can be snow free with very mild temps (had a couple days in the 80s last year) or be locked in the teens and 20s with lots of snow. 2-3 years ago with the late springs we had it was late April before you could really get a boat in.

Matt, I've been working out of Williston the last year and when I'm not working (which isn't very often) I'm in the field or on the water. Compared to MN, there is unlimited hunting opportunities. Hit me up with a pm later this fall. I found an area last fall that is holding a 170"+ buck and a couple 150"+ bucks but the areas too big to hunt by myself & none of my buddies bowhunt. It's a bit of a drive for ya but I promise it'll be worth it. Haven't done much eye fishing on Sak since I've been having too much fun with the big slimeballs. One of the guys I work with keeps his boat in McKensie Bay (Mandaree) and had an awesome year eye fishing. And as stated bird hunting is second to none