• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring tune-up

SapperACE

I know it may be a little early, but I'm already getting the itch for open water. I am a little nervous, however.

When I put my boat away last fall it was not running the greatest. I have a sylvan boat with a 1996 Johnson 90 hp. On my last voyage for the year, it was a cold day, and she seemed like she was running a little rich, and she barely started. It's was after she sat for well over a month and a half. When it finally did start, the was a lot of smoke and it took a while to get it warmed up. I do a lot of speed trolling and I am wondering if it needs a carb clean or something. Is that hard to do? I was also planning on some new plugs this year.

As i said, i am planning on plugs, and lower unit oil. I would appreciate any other tune-up advice and some ideas on the carb cleaning.

Here is a guess at what happened the last time you used it last fall, do you remember if you pumped up the primer bulb nice and tight? If you didn't most likely the gas evaperated out of the carbs and when you fired it up it was running on oil left over in the float bowls. On the vro engines if you run dry on gas the oil side of the pump keeps pumping and fills the bowls with oil, then starts hard and smokes like heck, but no damage is done.

Also, if you don't use non-oxy gas, and it was sitting for 1.5 months, some of the corn gas might have absorbed water/gone a bit bad. I had that happen to a pontoon after having it sit with the 6 gal tank (ethanol blend) sitting in hot sun for about 6 weeks without use. Dumped bad gas, started fresh non-oxy, and ran fine. Sleds will do this too. I use all non-oxy now. So if you used ethanol gas, along with what TL said above, that would explain it.

Good luck!

I always use 91 octane. My dad always used say to never use anything but 91 in a 2 stroke. I also put stabil in ever time I fill up as directed on the bottle. I think stump hit my problem on the head. Can't wait for spring.

Yep, that is probably it. But 91 (premium) is not always non-oxy, depending on where you buy it. If you can, I would recommend the non-oxy. Since I have been using that in ALL my small engines (including up to 150 hp outboards) they have all been running better, down to the weedwhacker that used to always be a PITA when using corn-gas wink