• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter Full Thermal Resort

Blackhawkxp

Any one have the Otter full thermal resort? Is it too big to haul around. Currently have a Wild Cabin but looking to upsize. Not sure the lodge will be big enough. Usually have 2 adults and a 12 year old that is growing fast and it is getting crowded in the cabin. I typically role with the snowmobile and portable on the trailer so lifting into a truck box will not be an issue at the moment. HSOforum says it fishes 3-4 but not sure if that claim is true. I assume you have 3 swivel seats and the odd man on a bucket in the corner. How is it in the wind? Just looking for some insight from actual owners.

My brother had an Otter Resort. That's a BIG sled and really tough to fish three and have room to maneuver around. Sold that and now he has a Canvas Craft thermal double flip. I have one as well and it's much much nicer to fish three inside. Sled is much easier to handle as well.

I agree. I have a double flip as well, I fish alone 1/2 the time and have no problem loading it into the back of my truck by myself. I have fished 4 people a few times and everybody liked the amount of space we were able to have in a portable. I have the otter rail system with 2 seats and the caddy and have used makeshift seats out of a 5 gallon pail with a boat seat mounted on it on the other side. Works great.

Apparently this model isn't the best choice out there from the lack of responses. Who carries the canvas craft brands? I have never seen one in person. I am happy with the otter house i currently have and that is the main reason i am looking to buy from them again. I may have to look into the hub style house instead? The wants i am looking for is full thermal and to fish 3-4 people. I assume the sled styles are a little easier to relocate if you are chasing fish but i have never fished in a hub so i dont know the advantages or disadvantages of that style.

With a hub, you will need something else to haul your gear around. So you will probably end up with a sled anyway.

They have nice fishable area inside.

I fish with my 11 and 7 year old in my lodge a lot. Its not ideal, but it works. The resort is considerably bigger than a lodge and I think you would have more than enough room for 3 ppl.

A double flip would spread the lines out more on opposite sides of the sled so that would be nice.

As it is now I only drill 1 hole per person or its like swiss cheese in there and someone is bound to fall in a hole.

They use the otter sled and have a good pole system and a great canvas.

As far as the hub style house I would avoid it. They advantages of the hub house being light and easy to pack is erased since you have a snowmobile and trailer space to load a house.

My buddy has a 4000T clam and it is nice to fish out of, but setup and moving is more of a hassle with a hub house. Also you are going to end up putting your gear in a sled behind your snowmobile anyway.

If your looking to fish 3-4 people that double flip that canvas craft sells is really nice but i called this year and they are not makeing them anymore do to not enough people wanting them. They did say that they would make one if i really wanted it. They are spendy.

I fish 3 guys in my resort all the time with out issue. Its a big heavy unit but can easily be hauled with a wheeler or sled. Heck I have 2 guys on the sled and 1 rides in the Resort with no problems. Its a 2 man job to get in a truck but onto a trailer 1 guy can do it. If your fishing 3 you have more than enough man power.

If your fishing 4 people a double flip is the deal or better yet 2 Otter Lodges so when you go alone or with 1 other you dont have to haul the monster double wide out.

I love the resort when going with the snowmobile because of the ton of room t has. I can stand up and Im 6'6". I even have set up a cot and slept in my resort.

I wish otter would make the double flip house. I thought about keeping the wild cabin and buying another Thermal cabin or lodge but then i would need two heaters so was hoping the resort might be the best choice. 90% of the time it is 2-3 people but once in awhile i need the option for 4. Is this doable in the resort. I may just hold onto the wild cabin for the few times i need to bring more people.

I'm suprised they don't...I have the Canvas Craft Double Flip, which uses the Otter tub, awesome equipment...also pricey...but worth it for me. I was also lucky...bought used in new condition for $1000, I'm guessing they are $1400+ brand new(full thermal). Maybe there isn't a big enough market? especially when you can buy a thermal hub for considerbly less...which I have also and the double flip is first choice always!

I wish otter would make the double flip house. I thought about keeping the wild cabin and buying another Thermal cabin or lodge but then i would need two heaters so was hoping the resort might be the best choice. 90% of the time it is 2-3 people but once in awhile i need the option for 4. Is this doable in the resort. I may just hold onto the wild cabin for the few times i need to bring more people.

They just didnt sell well enough to keep building them. You will need 2 of everything with a double flip anyways.

You could buy a bigger hub house that when folded up fits in the sled of you cottage. When four people o fishing grab the hub and use that. I plan on doing this alsoi have the lodge and want more room sometimes if you want carry 2 heaters and you could use both houses or one heater and pick what house your going to use.