• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rods that do not require "spring bobbers"

Cove

I icefish for panfish and walleyes, mainly.

Have my favorite spring bobbers, but do wonder about using those rods advertised as having super soft tips, not requiring spring bobbers e.g. Jason Mitchel Meat Stick.

Opinions?

...using those rods advertised as having super soft tips, not requiring spring bobbers e.g. Jason Mitchel Meat Stick.

I don't think the meatstick has ever been advertised as not requiring a spring bobber. The only advertising I've ever seen promote it as it was origianlly designed...as a deadstick rod for walleyes.

I just think that many anglers have discovered that the meatsticks work pretty well in place of a spring bobber rod, so that's what we see & hear. Is the meatstick a total repalcement for a spring bobber rod? No. Are there certain applications where a spring bobber rods, shines? Absolutely! Will a meatstick work in place of a spring bobber in many situations? You bet it will!

-Rod

I dont remember who made them, but it was a noodle rod about 30 inches long, maybe longer, very thin at the tip, yet enough backbone for a few bigger fish. the blank was almost a cream color.. if anyone has one of these or similar, could you please post a pic? I know it wasnt a major name like jason Mitchell or TB... possibly made by eagle claw??

Tuned Up Customs has a noodle rod also.

I have a 32" TB Panfish rod and absolutely love it. Haven't caught anything other than big gills and crappies on it but wouldnt be afraid to use it on walleyes.

After having a custom rod i dont think im going to buy a big name off the shelf rod again

Picked up the new 13Fishing 24 inch "Wicked UL" and really like it for pannies...very sensitive tip, no spring-bobber needed and awesome backbone for the bigger crappies....reel is good quality as well....quite impressed so far.

I have the same rod and I've pulled up 5 lb. northerns no problem while fishing for crappies. the rod is ultra sensitive and even the softest biting crapppies don't go unnoticed

I dont remember who made them, but it was a noodle rod about 30 inches long, maybe longer, very thin at the tip, yet enough backbone for a few bigger fish. the blank was almost a cream color.. if anyone has one of these or similar, could you please post a pic? I know it wasnt a major name like jason Mitchell or TB... possibly made by eagle claw??

Dh Custom Rods "Al Dente" perhaps?

this is another option to a spring bobber. EASY BITE. mount it on a stiffer rod. it works awsome. 1 problem with a spring bobber, it is very hard to detect bites if the fish swims upward with the bait. this one does. I will outfish any spring bobber 3 to 1 with this thing. Find them online or at mills fleet farm.

my brother has several meatsticks that he uses for bluegills and crappies and he loves them... however, i myself go with the cheaper option and pick up a $6 ice blue. You get a nice fight out of the panfish and i have used it to catch walleyes on some occasions. plus with it being cheap it doesnt hurt as much when you break them, which i tend to do about once a year smile

There is a difference between sensitivity and a sight rod. I think the original post is looking for another option without a spring bobber. Spring bobbers have been a staple and a must for detecting the slightest bites. Using a "sensitive" rod will not detect all of the bites a spring bobber will.

With that being said, while some of the mass produced rods will do the trick, a custom rod will only enhance the ability to detect those finicky bites. The Precision Noodle from Tuned Up Custom Rods is perfect for doing just that. The noodle tip is far more responsive than any DH Al Dente. Paired with Recoil guides, you have a lightweight rod that will resist ice buildup and see what you have been missing.