• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choosing an ice auger???

coners

I was in the same situation this fall. I was undecided on a new auger for years. I tried almost everything out there before I finally purchased the Honda from Strikemaster. I LOVE IT. I went with the Honda for the simple reason of I dont like messing with mixed gas and the light weight of it. Of all the augers I tried, I was most unhappy with the Jiffy Propane. I do a lot of hole hopping and lugging that thing around all day was way too much of a pain. In my opinion there isnt the perfect auger out there for all situations. I like my Honda cause its light weight, powerful and fast but it does not re-drill holes the best. The jiffy or any chipper blade auger is going to be better for that. So if you fish in a house all the time and dont hole hop drilling 50-60 holes a day than the jiffy pro4 is a good buy. Just take into consideration what type of fishing you do the most and base your decision on that. Every auger has there ups and down, pros and cons. Just need to take consideration into your type of ice fishing. Me hands down Honda Lite!!

I was in the same situation this fall. I was undecided on a new auger for years. I tried almost everything out there before I finally purchased the Honda from Strikemaster. I LOVE IT. I went with the Honda for the simple reason of I dont like messing with mixed gas and the light weight of it. Of all the augers I tried, I was most unhappy with the Jiffy Propane. I do a lot of hole hopping and lugging that thing around all day was way too much of a pain. In my opinion there isnt the perfect auger out there for all situations. I like my Honda cause its light weight, powerful and fast but it does not re-drill holes the best. The jiffy or any chipper blade auger is going to be better for that. So if you fish in a house all the time and dont hole hop drilling 50-60 holes a day than the jiffy pro4 is a good buy. Just take into consideration what type of fishing you do the most and base your decision on that. Every auger has there ups and down, pros and cons. Just need to take consideration into your type of ice fishing. Me hands down Honda Lite!!

Out of curiosity, was it just the weight of the Jiffy propane that you didn't care for or were there other reasons? I only ask because I have been the proud owner of that auger since Xmas and have really liked it. You are right about it being heavy. I move around a lot and have never been bothered by it I guess. I have been going lightweight though and only pulling out what I need in lightweight sleds. I don't notice the weight at all when pulling the auger in the sled, but it is heavy to carry around and pop holes. The extra work just helps me warm up grin If you buy Jiffy you know you get the added weight that comes with it, I just hope I also get the long life that I see most Jiffy's getting.

Yes the biggest disadvantage I found with the jiffy was the weight. It drilled like a dream but I did find that it froze up too. When I used one it was 9 degrees out and was early ice. I drilled 10-15 holes right away and fished those. Moved to another area, went to start it and the lines were froze up. I had borrowed that jiffy from a friend who took it in to where he purchased it and they changed a few things on it (not 100% sure what changes) and he said he has not had an issue with it yet. All manufacturers make great augers but I feel they suit different styles of fishing. For me the wheelhouse days are short so I do alot of running and drilling/ice trolling that is why I perfer a lighter auger. Pulling a jiffy in a sled would be NO PROBLEM. Its the drilling 15-20 holes continuously that I didnt like with the added weight. Just my opinion.