• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choosing an ice auger???

coners

I am tired of using 2cycle gas augers. They stink up everything. Not just when using but even sitting in the porch between trips. I am looking for opinions about weather you would go with a four stroke gas, 4 stroke propane, or the ion or icegator electric. Will be buying soon, just not sure which way to go. Thanks

I was talking to a friend that is a manager at a place that sells the Jiffy Pro4's about them just last night. He said they had been a bit of a headache for them with customer complaints. We did get interrupted right about then, so I didn't get a chance to find out what the nature of the complaints were, so take it with a grain of salt.

I think the first run of the Pro4's had some issues with the fuel lines but they made some changes to address that. I received a Jiffy Pro4 8" for Xmas and at this point I couldn't be happier. It starts on the second pull every morning and once it has been warmed up it starts first pull almost every time. It's a really quiet auger and drills very nicely. Never bogs down and never hangs up just before busting through. If you want the hands down fastest auger on the market, the Pro4 isn't it. My dad has a strikemaster with the lazer blades and his is just a touch quicker (but barely). I just switched tanks for the first time the other day and am confident in saying I drilled easily 100+ holes on the first tank. I did back off the idle speed screw after running it the first time as the auger wanted to spin while it was at idle. After using it a few times, I had to turn the idle speed screw back in a bit because it was idling too slowly. Obviously only time will tell how it will hold up, but I am hoping the clean burning propane results in a long life. I'll change the oil every year and I hope to get many years of use from it. Very happy at this point.

I said 100+ holes to be conservative. Might well have been 200 for all I know, but I wasn't counting and I was on the same tank since Christmas until just this last weekend. They claim a 1 lb propane tank is roughly equivalent to 3/4 of a tank of gas, so yes gas will be cheaper if you drill a lot of holes every year. As much fishing as I do 2 or 3 tanks will last me the whole season which I can live with. Gas may be cheaper, but propane has some advantages over gas too. No changing fuel lines after they become stiff, cleaner burning, less smell, no gas spills. Definitely not for everyone but I really like the propane so far and was skeptical at first to say the least.

X3. Just got my new pro4 10", and am in LOVE!! I know there were some regulater problems, easy fix... a spring. and have heard of the fast idle problem once, screwdriver fix. I have drilled about 30 holes with mine, and I would recomend it to anyone. It is still heavy (38-40lbs) but no gas/oil or gas and it is SO QUIET!! Get the Stealth STX auger unit, and you will love it too. Not a once has it stalled, or got hung up in the hole, and it is plenty of power for a 10" hole through 26" of ice. Love the little things too, like the threadless pin to fasten the auger unit to the pto, and the blade cover is excellent. Starts on pull 1 every time. After I drill my final hole for the day, I unhook the line from the tank while it is still running, to clear out the line. I will be selling my Mag2000 after I overhaul it.

My nils hand auger doesn't stick up the porch, is lightweight, and cuts through the ice like butter. The best three reasons to use hand augers (IMO) are:

1) No time spent trying to get them started, pulling instead of fishing

2) A better workout - we all good use one

3) If you're feeling cold, drill another hole. It warms you up in no time

I'd like to through the Icegator into the ring. I've had mine for around 4 yrs now, and during that time I haven't fired up the gas auger. It'll beat the pants off of most gas augers, is a usable weight with the Lithium battery pack, and will cut around 60 holes through 28" of ice per charge. I use mine for both wheel house use and hole hopping. Sure, I'm not cutting 100 holes in a day, but I haven't had it die on me in the field yet either.

Notable advantages:

Instant start up. No warming up. No delay.

Reverse. Clear slush out of your hole.

Not binding at the bottom of the hole. It just powers through.

Customer service is top notch. I bought one of the first of the new styles, and it had a slight design flaw. That's since been redesigned, and I was given a new powerhead just like that.

I'd be happy to demonstrate the 'Gator for anyone that's curious. The ION works, but if you want an electric auger that's as close to a gas auger as you get, the Icegator is the #1 choice. Period.

Getting a 4 stroke will not stop it smelling when sitting, and when running it will smell just as bad as 80:1 amsoil (I personally enjoy the smell and 80:1 scares me, so I run 40:1 with penzoil syth. 2t oil). I don't understand why 2 stokes are undesired. Lighter, simpler, more powerful, and when it comes to augers mine is over 25 years old now running strong. Propane might be a good option, but they are heavy, and I have heard they are slower. Your house might smell like rotten eggs though, and there is a myth (maybe true, maybe not) that they leak if you lay them a certain way. I used to have an electric auger, but I did not like it. I would go back to a hand auger before an electric. BTW a hand auger does not smell, weighs almost nothing, is as fast as you are (can be a lot faster than any powered auger), and is a great option. I like hand augers better than the new 4 strokes coming out. 2c

Getting a 4 stroke will not stop it smelling when sitting, and when running it will smell just as bad as 80:1 amsoil (I personally enjoy the smell and 80:1 scares me, so I run 40:1 with penzoil syth. 2t oil). I don't understand why 2 stokes are undesired. Lighter, simpler, more powerful, and when it comes to augers mine is over 25 years old now running strong. Propane might be a good option, but they are heavy, and I have heard they are slower. Your house might smell like rotten eggs though, and there is a myth (maybe true, maybe not) that they leak if you lay them a certain way. I used to have an electric auger, but I did not like it. I would go back to a hand auger before an electric. BTW a hand auger does not smell, weighs almost nothing, is as fast as you are (can be a lot faster than any powered auger), and is a great option. I like hand augers better than the new 4 strokes coming out. 2c

Have you run a new 4 stroke? I'm guessing not. I have well over 2000 holes on my Honda and it runs flawlessly. It's also lighter then every 2 stroke out there but a Nils. Also, the smells are not similar, I can smell my Honda, but nothing close to either solo I had or my old Tecumsah. Btw All my 2 strokes were ran 80:1 with Amsoil sabre.

The propane exhaust does not smell like rotten eggs. There is a slight smell to the propane exhaust but very faint compared to any 2 stroke. And as far as leaking if you lay it a certain way, it will. Just like your vehicle would leak oil if you rolled it over. Pretty simple... Lay it down spark plug side up (as clearly marked on the auger) and you wont have any problems. Like I said earlier they arent the fastest cutting auger available. I know mine is a tad slower than a strikemaster with the lazer blades, but it cuts very smoothly and is plenty fast. As far as weight goes it is pretty hefty at 38 pounds. I'm a small guy and move around a lot and the weight doesnt bother me. Gotta weigh the pros and cons and in my opinion to the pros far outweigh the cons.

If a Nils/ Tanaka is in your budget it has a sealed gas cap. You can run it upside down, keep it in your truck or car. No gas to leak or odor. Or you can get just the power head and adapt your bit.

Not binding at the bottom of the hole. It just powers through.

Thats the biggest issue that I have with my electric Strikemaster, the binding at the bottom of the hole!!!!! I've tried going slow, tried going as fast as possible, I've tried pulling all the slush out before I get to the bottom and it still binds!!!! Love my Strikemaster Lazermag but the Stikemaster electric is going down the road once I find a better option!!

I own an Eskimo Mako 8" 2stroke auger.

It fit my budget very well at around 260+ tax when Cabela's was selling off all their winter ice fishing stuff last year (2011)

I consider this auger to be light duty and it serves it's purpose very well. I know it's made in China but I also know that with everything you buy if you take the time and make sure you properly store it over the season it will serve its purpose for many years.

This season alone, I've only drilled 50 holes tops in 12 outings. I prime the bulb 4 times, move the choke off run -> full choke pull the rip cord and it's on. It's a pretty solid unit!

Here's the only issue that I have but I think it's minor. The air filter sponge gets saturated in fuel / oil and it does leak out a few drips here and there but after each use if you take a paper towel and soak it up, that eliminates the dripping.

So that's my 2cents on the Eskimo Mako.